MEAT! !

traciez
on 2/13/12 7:01 am - OK
VSG on 01/17/12
I havent had any problems digesting either but i sure dont wanna chance it either!! I sure hope we dont but i think we will! just cuz our tummy is so tiny now...
             Tracie
~*Lifes a garden, dig it*~

edelu
on 2/13/12 8:53 am, edited 2/13/12 8:53 am - los angeles, CA
I inhale my food which really bothers me i eat way too fast, faster than i ever did before wls.  i remember chewing well out of fear early on but that left the building.  when the swelling goes down you'll be swallowing and chewing normally. You are also eating dense meat faster than a lot of us.  i was released at 6 weeks, so it's coming.  you could step it back to less dense meats until you feel more secure.
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/13/12 7:06 am
One month out may be too early for meats.  I know your doc cleared you, but just because we get the green light doesn't mean we're "ready."

Anyhow, I struggled with ground beef, ground turkey and beef steak for the first few weeks I was cleared to eat them.  I would avoid them for another couple of weeks and see how they went.  The ground meats were better then.  Steak took me a few more rounds of trialing and waiting, but eventually I did ok with that too.  The more tender and moist the better.

Like everything else, this gets better.  I still don't like taking a big bite or swallowing it before I've done some good chewing because then I can get a sluggish or partially-stuck feeling for a few seconds.  Nothing has ever gotten truly stuck, but it just takes a few more seconds to get down if I don't chew it very good.  More trial and error over time.

Stick to really soft, really moist meats until you are several months out.  That seems to help the most.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

traciez
on 2/13/12 7:11 am - OK
VSG on 01/17/12
 I never said it made me sick.. I handle and digest it fine... I just don't like the way it taste after you chew it for a while that's all...
             Tracie

Solstyce
on 2/13/12 7:33 am - WA
VSG on 02/18/12 with
Maybe a tiny bit of FF gravy would help extend the taste for you?

HW: 286  Consult: 276  SW:265   Pre-op: -11   1Mo -27  2Mo -11  3Mo -15  4Mo -6 (stall
UGH!)  5Mo -12
pedirn06
on 2/13/12 8:33 am
VSG on 01/26/12
I can relate to the the taste issue with chewing for so long.  I cannot eat ground beef real well (I am only 18 days out but on regular diet as tolerated).  I never knew there was so much gristle in some ground beef.  yuck!  And I love tuna salad, until I have to chew it so much and then it tastes "fishy". I do OK with chili though!!  I am beginning to feel like I am ready for the nursing home with all of the soft or blended foods and having to be sure my "bowls don't get locked up"!  However, I would do it all over again I feel so much better now.

I have found I cannot eat fajita chicken or beef - one bite and instant foamies!  Tiny Tum definitely tells me what to eat lol.  I can eat lean ham lunch meat with cheese slice rolled inside.

I do not know anyone personally who has had VSG but I know the ppl I do know personally who have had gastric bypass eat all kinds of meat - they are 1yr or more out.
pedirn06

sleevegirl
on 2/13/12 10:21 am - Austin, TX
Since surgery I will ONLY eat the 96/4 beef. The other tastes like crap to me. LOL.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

hwag5149
on 2/13/12 8:29 am
*palm face* I understand what you said. My point was, you're chewing for 19 hours because you don't want it to hurt you. I'm telling you that I don't chew my food that much and I don't have any problems, don't get hurt or sick or anything so MAYBE you don't need to chew it to the point that it's nasty and maybe you will be fine. You chew your food 400 times, it tastes nasty. You either don't chew it 400 times, stop eating it or put something on it so it tastes different. There's no miracle cure to the situation.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

traciez
on 2/13/12 8:44 am - OK
VSG on 01/17/12
 No I understand what you are saying completely! I was referring to the well maybe your just not ready for meat yet (= 
             Tracie

hwag5149
on 2/13/12 10:19 am
Oh. Chick, you have to click the "reply" underneath the actual response that you're responding to otherwise it gets very confusing. It will post below the persons message and everyone will be able to follow the conversation.  I thought 2  of those comments were to my comments.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Recent Topics