6 month post-op follow up

Black_Irish_Girl
on 2/8/12 6:32 pm
well, it didn't go as *i* had wanted.  i am -57 at this point (i wanted to be -60).  Dr is very happy with my progress and said i should be too; that i am over 50% to (his) goal... my personal goal is to lose ALL the excess weight (-100)...

most all of my labs are OK (including B12)... not so good on the iron and iron sat (not sure what the difference is)... have to start taking iron supplements three times a day and re-check it in three months.  this explains why i have been sooooo extremely tired for the past month.  

still, getting up at 4AM and exercising for 45 minutes to an hour starts my day on the right foot and gives me energy to make it to lunch.

thank you everyone for your support on this journey of mine!
BIG dee

52 yrs old, 5'2" HW & SW: 235 CW: 134 Personal Goal: 125

For those who may not know... Black Irish is a brown eyed brunette of Irish descent.  My sister got the red hair and green eyes... 

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/12 6:39 pm
VSG on 01/25/07 with
Did your physician let you know that you need to take iron at least 2 hours away from nuts, whole eggs, grains, dairy, calicum and tannins (teas and coffees)?  These items will inhibit your iron absorption.  Iron (and calcium) are easier absorbed in a vitamin C rich environment also. Also, depending on your iron supplement, you possibly could have issues with constipation, especially with taking it 3 times a day, so to just be watchful for that.

Keep up your very excellent work.

JoB
Black_Irish_Girl
on 2/8/12 6:46 pm
thank you jo.

i was told to look online for a specific iron supplement that was designed for WLS pts.  i don't have the paper here so i am not sure what it is called.  but the PA mentioned that it included vitamin C.  the doc told me to take it three times a day... thought i would only need to take it once a day... not looking forward to the constipation part taking it three times a day though!

thanks again
dee

For those who may not know... Black Irish is a brown eyed brunette of Irish descent.  My sister got the red hair and green eyes... 

(deactivated member)
on 2/8/12 6:58 pm
VSG on 01/25/07 with
Just to add that you might not get constipated, just to be aware so it did not get to be a horrifying experience before you realized what the issue/reason was. 

You are welcome.  Good job taking care of yourself, you are important.  :]
boomercd
on 2/8/12 7:04 pm - OH
dee, Congrats, your doing great don't minimize your progress, its only been 6 months, 57lbs gone is nothing to sneeze at. your doing good hang in there, the Iron will give you more energy and its good that you stay on top of it, you can help the constipation if that becomes an issue, if you take a stool softener with it. its great your other labs are good, we are both a work in progress and WE CAN DO THIS!...Connie

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

Jerilynk75
on 2/8/12 11:51 pm - TX
 Way to go on the loss, Dee!  
I am going to echo what everyone else has said  -  don't minimize what you have done here....57pounds is a LOT of weight!!!

Our surgeries were one day apart - - and I also went to my 6mo followup yesterday.  

Zee Starrlite
on 2/9/12 1:06 am
What a fantastic job you are doing - committment, dedication pays big time and long term.

Now pat yourself on the back and shout hooray !  Well done my lady!  you will lose all your excess weight!

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

DancingQueen69
on 2/9/12 2:55 pm - Crossville, TN
 I was 60 when I had my sleeve done on 4-11-2011. I have lost 100 pounds as of last week.  I would have lost more I feel,  but was on pretisone for 2 months due to a hip problem and had problems of being hungry,  or thought I was hungry,  and ate more.  I'm off the pretisone now and back to normal as far as my sleeve isconcerned  I had both knees replaced in 1998 and a hip replaced in 2008.  Compared to those surgeries the sleeve was a piece of cake.  I had very few problems.  I was taking 4 diabetes pill a day that I no longer take and well as reduced blood pressure medicine and I take nothing for my colesteral now.  I was driving on Friday after having surgery on Monday and worked 1/2 days the week after surgery.  My job has no physical activity--I work with a computer most of the day.  I only regret I did not have it years earlier.

Black_Irish_Girl
on 2/9/12 6:23 pm
thank you everyone for your kind comments.  i must admit i am not a very patient person and want this goal now!  lol and it will be officially 6 months on the Feb 23rd, so i guess i have a few more days to lose that last 3 pounds, right?

thank you all once again.  not sure i could stick with it without all of the support i get from OH!

BIG dee

Most Active
Recent Topics