Questioning my decision..

traciez
on 1/21/12 8:38 am - OK
VSG on 01/17/12
I hope I'm not the only one going thru this but I'm 4 days post op and I am getting miserable.. I feel fine and I'm not hungry but I sure do wanna eat! It seriously making me crazy!! Any advice!?!
             Tracie
~*Lifes a garden, dig it*~

doggz109
on 1/21/12 8:44 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
It's gonna be tough until all the grhelin leaves your system.  It should get easier once you can eat some solid food again also. 

Just keep stickin' to your plan.....I mean what else are you gonna do?  It's done...there is no going back.  Just keep pushing forward.
landdnurse2
on 1/21/12 8:55 am - Midwest City, OK
Do some diversion activity. It is supposed to be warmer in OK tomorrow than it was today. Go get a pedicure. Go for a walk. The THUNDER start in 3 minutes!

HW 321 (9/08) SW 312 (1/11)  Pre-op 280 (11/1) Surgery 270 (12/11)
Chalk
on 1/21/12 8:57 am - TN
VSG on 01/09/12

O Tracie,

I hear you, loud and clear! I'm 12 days out and had a few days in the beginning where I was hungry. I used hot tea with Stevia to help curb my appetite-- chai, chocolate hazelnut, and orange spice were my favorites. I also started walking just for 5 minutes or so every time the hunger hit and that helped too.

It will get better -- truly it will. I moved to full liquids yesterday and it's much easier.

Pre-Op Weight Loss 20 lbs ~~~~~ Surgery Weight 289

Goal weight 180  ~~~~~~  6'0"

Month 1 (21 lbs) ~~~ Month 2 (10 lbs) ~~~ Month 3 (14 lbs) ~~~ Month 4 (12 lbs) ~~~ Month 5 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 6 (11 lbs) ~~~ Month 7 (10 lbs) ~~~~ Month 8 (8 lbs) ~~~ Month 9 (9 lbs) ~~~ Month 10 (6 lbs)

Goal Reached in 10 months  

MareTallama
on 1/21/12 9:10 am - NY
VSG on 01/03/12
I had that feeling too in the very beginning, especially when I was only on liquids. Now that I'm on mushies, I feel much better about my sleeve, and I'm not regrettful at all.
HW & SW: 251 CW: 166 GW: 145  Month 1: -24lbs  Month 2: -11lbs  Month 3: -13lbs Month 4: -10.8 lbs.
Month 5: - 11.2 lbs  Month 6: -9 lbs  Month 7: -6 lbs

SassyItalian
on 1/21/12 9:10 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Yea.. the post op blues are very normal

We are mourning food, mourning the loss of our comfort zone, wondering what the heck we did, if things will ever feel normal again.

This will be a distant memory. You made a BRAVE decision to do something positive and change your life and every moment of questioning and that ****ty liquid diet is worth it. Life will be normal soon enough, well..healthier normal

I would do it 100 times over if it meant 1 year later i would be where i am physically and mentally.

Hang in there! It will pass. Just wait til you go buy jeans 4 sizes smaller.

And PS if you are taking any pain meds they will also make you an emotional wreck. Also, detoxing from food, carbs, sugar, etc can make you grouchy.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Lori D.
on 1/21/12 10:04 am
VSG on 01/11/12
I'm 10 days post op and I am struggling too.  I went up to thicker protein shakes and yogurt 2 days ago and just found out yogurt shouldn't be for another 10 days.  I am fearful that I'm going too fast with foods but I'm so hungry.  I'm hoping it gets better when I can have a little more solid food.  I'm curious what will happen if I eat food too soon.

Don't regret your decision.  You'll adjust.  I did a lot of pre-work thinking about how I would do without food too comfort me.  I'm still working on it but just drinking non-calorie drinks. 
diane S.
on 1/21/12 10:34 am
Everybody goes through this either before or after surgery which is feeling the emotional longing for the comfort of food. I am two years out and trust me - this will decrease. Remind yourself of how great it is to feel free of physical hunger. When you get some pounds off it will be so liberating to move around more easily that you will forget about how much a part of your life that overeating was.

Meanwhile concentrate on following your doctor's orders, developing new habits, and thinking of new fun things to do besides eat. I find it useful to do things with my hands which keeps me from eating like crafts or ipad games. 

Sounds like you are doing well as you feel fine and are not hungry. Be glad for that and congrats on taking this step. You might feel some regret now but soon you will be very glad you did this. Once i reached goal for months i woke up feeling almost deliriously happy because for the first time in my life i was not fat. focus on thinking how great that moment will be.   

Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

stephintexas
on 1/21/12 12:48 pm
Like Diane said, this is normal. I was having a full on pity party and hating my decision for about a week post op. I am nearly at two weeks and i barely feel like I had surgery. I have some lingering fatigue and obviously, still can't eat a lot but I'm 23 pounds down and very glad I did it.

I think ,honestly, the stronger the reaction of sadness you have after sugery, missing the food, the more you really needed the surgery. This surgery will allow you to take your power back, get out of food bondage and take control of your own body. The first week is tough, the second gets way better, I promise.
VUUBUG
on 1/21/12 9:32 pm
VSG on 01/10/12
 I too had the same feelings....then you have to sit back and put things in perspective! I miss food!
I went to a dinner party at a steak house last night, and wanted to cry when the waiter read the dinner specials...boy, was that a test!!!  I gathered myself, and said...this will pass, took out my 4 oz applsauce from my pocketbook, and ate it slow while everyone else was enjoying god knows what.....I then ordered for my entree a bowl of strained onion soup....It was FABULOUS!  I was still sipping my broth, and the entire table was done chowing down on their side's of beef!!  I have to tell you, as soon as I got over the initial "poor me attitude" gained control, it was GREAT to be apart of things, an not have food control the situation....I was in control!  I even enjoyed a cappucino for dessert!  You can do this!!!!!  

Most Active
Recent Topics