Scary Stuff Going On Here.......

frisco
on 12/20/11 6:51 am
On December 20, 2011 at 2:29 PM Pacific Time, MILLERSDAUGHTER wrote:
(Sorry in advance, this is long.)  OK.....I am going to jump in here.  I am a "Middle".  I have passed my 6 month mark and am not on here as much anymore as I used to be.  I am a combo of "out living my life", feeling like I have "got this in control" and kinda slacking off a little too. 

I understand both sides of this discussion.

I don't know Frisco personally but I try to read all his posts.  Frisco's writing style has him coming off as a "to the point", "no nonsense" kinda guy that isn't all warm and fuzzy.  However, I bet he's a teddy bear with a big heart.  I think some people take his way of communication right on the chin and that is not the way they like to get their info.

Another aspect of this discussion is something that has worried me too.  I see a lot of people that have not been given the info that they should or they haven't done the research they need to do.  They are looking for that easy fix that will make them fart rainbows and **** sunbeams while getting a svelte body, making everything right with their world.  I don't know if these people are intentionally not wanting to know or just don't know that they don't know.  Either way, I lose patience with these posts.  This didn't happen on OH but here's an example of the same type of thing I see sometimes on this forum that has some of the "vets" upset:  I have a friend that wants to have VSG.    She desperately needs it but it will be a financial hardship because her insurance doesn't cover the surgery.  I have steered her to this website, recommended my doc as a self payer.  I gave her a copy of Dr. Alvarez's book.  Put TONS of info, research articles, sample recipes, etc on a thumb drive for her to review while making her  decision.  Two months later, she gives me back the book, the thumb drive and admits that she hasn't read any of it or been on OH even once.  Her reason?  This is an exact quote...."With a smart friend like you that's doing good, why do I need to read all this stuff?  I can just call you when I have a question."  I was dumbfounded.  Why would you alter your body, spend thousands of $$, risk your life/health and not learn the first thing about it?  Needless to say, I backed off and am helping to encourage someone else.

There are also doctors/teams/programs out there that scare the hell out of me.  'Nuff said.

Then there are those people that aren't given a lot of info or prep but they make the effort to go out on their own and get it.  THESE are the people I want to help. 

Going thru this surgery is a whole lot like giving birth.  With my first child, I read every book on pregnancy, childbirth, childcare, etc. in the library.  I went to Lamaze.  I ate healthy and exercised.  Followed my doctor's directions.  Went into labor and was doing great.  27 hours later, when the doc told me that he needed to do a C-section, I was like, "Time out.  Can we just put this on pause for a few hours?  I promise I'll finish later but I am so tired, so hungry and I just want a break".  I was prepared as hell, just like I was for my VSG but the reality of it all was too much at times.  I knew then I didn't have a choice but to continue on and I didn't have a choice but to keep following my plan after VSG if I wanted a good outcome. 

I think everyone is looking at Frisco's post thru their own narrow perspective and getting their feathers ruffled.  This is an emotional journey and this forum is the ONE PLACE where we expect to find understanding, no matter our point in the journey.  That's great and I hope we all find it but remember, we are all adults and we need to try and look at things from other perspectives.

I used to read EVERY post but now, I can tell if it's one that is going to frustrate, exasperate, offend or simply waste my time.  I just skip those.  I try to respond to those that I feel I can contribute to.  And, like Frisco, I have had some PM conversations with people to help them make their decision, get back on their path, etc.  I am giving back because someone did the same for me.

Now I am a weird bird.  I went thru the whole trip of trying to get insurance approval with one group (psyc testing, cardiac clearance, NUT counseling, etc.) only to go to Mexico where there were few requirements and the expectation that there wouldn't be much after care support.  That was fine with me.  I had OH and the ability to think for myself and find the answers I needed.  I wouldn't change a thing.  Would I recommend it to everyone?  HELL NO!  But I've found my path, and I'm succeeding.

And Frisco.......keep it up.  Love ya, man.

Don,,I know you and Frisco don't gel but it takes a helluva man to support and stand up for someone when you aren't their biggest fan.  And your post was very eloquently stated.  Kudos to you!

Like Forrest Gump...."that's all I've got to say about that". 
Thanks MillersDaughter,

I should just have you write my stuff !!!!

Don't give away my "Teddy Bear" status.....trying to keep my edge.....ya know!

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mythreechildren2001
on 12/20/11 6:34 am
Amy, I think you are completely right...in my case anyway.  I am just almost 5 1/2 months out.  Before and immediately after I got my sleeve, I was on this website every chance I could.  I couldn't read enough or learn enough.  I had tons of questions and most of them were answered without me having to actually ask them.  All I had to do was read.  At this point I don't have a lot of questions.  I'm losing consistently 10 lbs/month, so I hardly ever check in here.  I only come around once or twice/week.  I'm on Christmas break for 2 weeks, so I'm on here more frequently right now.

Another point to make is that this is certainly not the first post by the op of this sort.  There have been several posts implying (or downright stating) that new sleevers are unprepared and and that other surgeons' plans are nowhere near as good as his and our success will not match his own.  Which sleevers he is referring to is impossible to tell.  As a result, all of us newbies are made to feel inferior whether that is the intention or not.  It gets old.

50 y/o female 5'6" HW 283 current 160 goal 150

frisco
on 12/20/11 7:17 am
On December 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM Pacific Time, mythreechildren2001 wrote:
Amy, I think you are completely right...in my case anyway.  I am just almost 5 1/2 months out.  Before and immediately after I got my sleeve, I was on this website every chance I could.  I couldn't read enough or learn enough.  I had tons of questions and most of them were answered without me having to actually ask them.  All I had to do was read.  At this point I don't have a lot of questions.  I'm losing consistently 10 lbs/month, so I hardly ever check in here.  I only come around once or twice/week.  I'm on Christmas break for 2 weeks, so I'm on here more frequently right now.

Another point to make is that this is certainly not the first post by the op of this sort.  There have been several posts implying (or downright stating) that new sleevers are unprepared and and that other surgeons' plans are nowhere near as good as his and our success will not match his own.  Which sleevers he is referring to is impossible to tell.  As a result, all of us newbies are made to feel inferior whether that is the intention or not.  It gets old.

If you were to read my post, I've listed people from 7-8 different surgeons and programs and I could list more. I even have said positive things about your Brandon Williams at Vanderbilt.

I see your point..... But it really has become very clear that with the current range of surgeons, surgeries, programs and the diversity in patient awareness.....I/you can't "broad stroke".

See your interpretation of my message (as raw as it is) may be "new sleevers are unprepared" when others will thank myself or others for preparing them for what's coming up.

You sound like you are doing very well with your WL.......That's great !

Some of my frustration is that I want to see anybody who takes on ANY WLS to do well and it is VERY sad to see people drop off cause of one thing or another. A lot is to blame on surgeons eating plans and educational aftercare.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

auttibs
on 12/20/11 8:36 am
 I read every post on this topic. I'm sure that everyone had the best of intentions. However, whoever ANY of you are, because most of us don't know - and really, who has time for that... This topic makes me feel unwelcome as a newbie. I am just a week out - am trying to figure my new self out - and people post crazy stuff like this. 

Ya know what?  I haven't gotten much protein in because it tastes bad and it makes me poop my day away. But after some of the posts under this topic - I am surely not going to ask for help.  I'm not getting in all my liquids because I am still sick to my stomach - again, not going to ask because perhaps "I haven't committed to the lifestyle".  This is bull**** because this is exactly where I should be able to ask! 

So - take this post as me saying where I found encouragement before - I'm not sure it is here. Posts that make others (especially newbies) feel uncomfortable create an us vs. them feel to this board.

Believe me - I won't PM some of the vets on this topic because rather than feeling supported in a journey that you say you help so many through (why answer the messages if it is so draining???) - I refuse to be belittled by anyone thinking they are better than anyone else. 

frisco
on 12/20/11 8:52 am

Sorry you feel that way.....

But, in all honesty......you should be talking to your Surgeon and Staff about your current issues. At a week out and being sick to your stomach and constant diarrhea is a medical issue.
Online public forums is not a good place for medical advice.

And by all means please Block me if I don't seem beneficial to your journey.

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 9:09 am
I just saw my surgeon today and he lowered my metformin and gave me a 10 day medicine for the diarrhea (sp?) issue. He told me to call him if that doesn't help. I also have some nausea meds from him but haven't had to use them. Those might be some things you can ask/try...
auttibs
on 12/20/11 10:16 am
 Hey!  Sorry for being an ignorant newbie and all .. 

Haha. I know you are a week out, too. I take a lottttt of metformin for my PCOS. Good looking' out for me!  How much did you take?  

I can't see my surgeon until next week - but if this is part of what is causing it, I could call my PCP in the meantime!

roseselene
on 12/20/11 10:33 am
I just wanted to chime in and say that at a week post op i was most definitely NOT getting my protein and in fact I was told that shouldn't be a major concern at that point in time.  I also was not getting my fluids either. Not because I wasn't committed, not because i wasn't serious, not because i was given bad information....just because that's how my post op course went. I had serious swelling. Drinking one ounce of fluid was a big freaking deal to me.  I read posts on here that made it sound easy and made it sound like I was an idiot for not being able to get in my fluids.  However, I'm the one living in my body and I KNEW that I was not being lazy or whatever else...i just physically could NOT do it.  I ended up needing IV fluids twice.  Ultimately this passed and now at six months, I'm doing great.  Hang in there! You can do it.  I did not feel good at one week out and I'm confident that many others also did not feel good at one week out. 
I would focus on hydration as much as possible.
Amy
CW: 255 SW: 234 

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/11 1:51 pm
I take 2000 mg for PCOS as well. I am not technically diabetic as my A1c and fasting glucose have never gone over 6.0 or 100, however my insulin resistance is ridiculous. I am concerned about him cutting my metformin actually and I am going to call my PCP before I make such a drastic change to it. I want to check my labs for my insulin first since the PCOS is such a sensitive issue. I definitely wouldn't do anything without consulting the surgeon or PCP first, but maybe you should look into adding something for the nausea and diarrhea (from the surgeon) first. If you cant hold anything down or keep it in you are going to end up in bad shape. Maybe worry about cutting meds later. Definitely make some calls. That's just my opinion...
Debra P.
on 12/20/11 9:19 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 It does seem that some of the vets in here gained quite an ego when they dropped their weight...
I suppose everything is a "trade off" in one way or another. 
You can trade your addiction for food to an addiction to shopping or exercise or drugs and booze and you can trade your wallflower, be invisible and don't speak to avoid attention for delusions of grandeur and ego...
I have been on these boards for 4 years, mostly reading and staying silent until I finally decided to have WLS and I have seen this "trade off" a lot...  It is what it is, you can take it personally or bru**** off like the bull**** that it is.  

Most Active
Recent Topics