Tortuous colon, anyone?

dalee319
on 12/18/11 10:41 am
 My husband and I just found out that he has a tortuous colon...which means his colon is longer and more twisted than most.  We both have had the VSG...his was in March.  Since then, he has been dealing with major constipation, to the point of being hospitalized.  Any ideas on how to incorporate more fiber while still meeting the required protein intake on this new life plan.  It's one of the times we miss the full-size stomachs!
Ms. Poker Face
on 12/18/11 10:46 am
I use fiber gummies.  I chew them up really good so I'm sure they slip through my pyloric valve into my intestines pretty quick, therefore not inhibiting my ability to get my protein in.  They are tasty and they help with the constipation.  He may need more than the recommended daily serving (2) if his constipation is really bad.

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

KnitterNY
on 12/18/11 11:01 am - NY
My nut recommended using Benefiber, the powder kind. You can add it to anything (liquid or food) and it dissolves right away and really has no taste. I've been doing this for a couple of days. No improvements for me yet, I'm having issues with constipation as well.
HW: 335   SW: 305   CW: 219

ruggie
on 12/18/11 11:07 am - Sacramento, CA
I drink fiber!  It's so easy.

I alternate between Benefiber  (wheat dextran; you can also get it cheaper at Target with their Up brand) and/or Miralax (polyethylene glycol; you can get a Kirkland brand at Costco).  It doens't mix well into protein (causes the protein to clump up and stick to the plastic cup) but it's fantastic in water and other things.

I also swallow fiber pills - Citrucel (methycellulose) and Metamucil (pyscillium husks).  

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

KathyA999
on 12/18/11 11:33 am
I use Miralax (actually the Costco house brand, much cheaper, Kirkland like a PP mentioned) in my morning coffee every other day.  It's safe to take indefinitely, and works better (for me) than Benefiber.  He might need to find a combination of different products such as stool softeners, fiber supplement like Miralax or gummies, etc., to see what works for him.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Scandrona
on 12/18/11 7:59 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
I haven't had the surgery yet but I've been dealing with severe constipation for years.  Miralax is really good or you could ask your doctor to prescribe Kirstalose.  It is pretty strong but sometimes its the only thing that will work for me.  It is a flavorless powder that acts as a diuretic. 

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/11 10:19 pm
Miralax is safe for children to take daily. My son took it daily for 2 years. Also, he took magnesium Citrate drink once everywhile when his blockage returned. I think that's the name of the stuff that cleans your colon? It's a nasty demi. But for extreme blockage fake fiber can worsten the problem. Instead he needs plant fiber, veggies and fruit. Avoid benefiber. My son has chronic constipation and we never use benefiber for him. Miralax, ex-lax and magnesium drink. Hugs!
George B.
on 12/19/11 1:59 am - Miami, FL
Post-op when things got very bad for me I used a Glycerin suppository. It worked in 15 minutes and I felt great.

Lentil soup 2-3 days a week helps keep you regular. Lentils have lots of fiber and some protein

For the past year I have taken 2 Fiber Gummies daily and have had no constipation issues.

Good luck,
George

Most Active
Recent Topics