Slider foods?

frisco
on 12/7/11 12:12 pm

OK...... this is a subject that seems to never get taught or learned and is probably the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT thing to know about eating with the Sleeve.

It's all about the Pyloric Valve......The Pyloric Valve is at the end of your stomach/sleeve and in front of your lower intestine.

For example..... This is typically what happens.....when you eat a dense protein....lets say chicken....your Pyloric Valve closes to hold that hard to digest food in your stomach for pre-digestion....Many proteins and coarse veggies will do this.

This is why we are told to eat dense protein first.....to close that valve.....than when you eat...that food stays in your sleeve for a while.....keeping you satisfied.

Slider foods.....foods that do not close the Pyloric Valve go right through.....or only partially close the valve still letting food through......thus.....you can eat a lot more of that slider food.

Now there are variables.....for instance... I love grilled Mackerel.....it's a soft greasy fi**** really should be easier on me than steak.....I can only eat like 1oz. of Mackerel and I'm done...feel like I over ate.....weird. Some people get full on yogurt....but for most yogurt is a slider.

Cakes, cookies, chips..... tend to slide right through !

Slider.....because it slides right by the Pyloric Valve !!!

There is much more to know about using this valve to help you in day to day eating. Learning what foods close this valve will help you eat less and stay satisfied longer.......

Hope this defines the term Slider a little more....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Kim_M
on 12/7/11 9:48 pm - LaPorte, TX
Frisco as always you explain where I get it!!!Thanks for rhe insight

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
erikalea1970
on 12/7/11 10:55 pm - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
Great explanation!

I just met the NUT yesterday, and he talked about the importance of solid food that stays intact for a while, like lean meats (and suggested small carb servings right afterwards only - now that I've read Frisco's post, that makes even more sense!)  He mentioned that a former client loved her ricotta from the mushie stage, especially topped with melted cheese on top, so she kept eating it in the solid food stage (and ate it in abundance because it went right through.)  She was apparently not very successful in her weight loss with that strategy!  He said some people are almost hesitant to go back to solid food because mushies are easier to eat, but you need the dense solid food to keep you from feeling hungry again right away.

He mentioned the same thing about crackers and chips that someone posted above - they may have bulk going in, but they take very little time to break down and pass through.

jessicae
on 12/7/11 11:16 pm
you seriously should write a book on the sleeve.  always looking for your posts to get advice and answers!

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Crystal M.
on 12/7/11 10:57 pm - El Paso, TX
Thank you, everyone. It makes perfect sense. I don't plan to buy Cheez-Its again.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Most Active
Recent Topics