Need advice on Toning

Bahamas1968
on 12/2/11 9:23 pm - MI
I need advice on toning my body. The weight is coming off slowly but surely. Now I would lie ot focus on toning in preparation for Summer 2012. Any tips?

Krazydoglady
on 12/2/11 10:46 pm - FL
I work with a trainer, and we do a lot of 'functional' work combination exercises like doing squats against a wall with the yoga ball while doing curls or presses at the same time, planks, walking lunges combined shoulder presses, etc.    I like working with a trainer because he continually mixes up what I'm doing and frankly, I don't have to think about it. 

You can design your own program. Magazines like Shape have all the different exercises you could ever want to do. Cut them out each month and put them in a notebook to take with you to the Gym or use at home if you have free weight.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Bahamas1968
on 12/2/11 11:24 pm - MI
thanks a bunch

infodiva808
on 12/2/11 11:33 pm
I do Pilates in the pool. Works for me!

DragonGirl
on 12/2/11 11:54 pm - MN
Weights work great for me too. I work with a trainer once a week. I work out on my own with weights two more times a week. The trainer really helps keep me on track and gives me great ideas. We do lots of curls, lots of skull crushers and lots of squats. One thing we do that I think really helps with the waist is...
We sit on our butts and lift our feet off the floor...almost like you're balancing on your butt...we use a free weight....I use 15 pounds currently...I had to work my way up to that....
you take the weight in your hands and move from side to side...almost touching the floor near your hip and swinging your hands over the top of your body to the other hip. do this 20 times for each side...take a break and repeat. Believe me...your abs will feel it. Just make sure you do a variety of things every other day. Switch it up. Don't forget to throw some cardio in there as well. Doing a combination of both works the best for me.

Good luck and have fun!
Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
wls2011
on 12/3/11 12:28 am - Ballston Lake, NY
 Like krazydoglady said....I also have a trainer who focuses on functional training and mixes it up, so I don't have to think about it....we use machines, stability balls, kettle bells, resistance bands, medicine balls, my own body weight, and it is always a great workout. I have toned up a lot and can see muscle definition in certain places. I do my cardio on my own, mostly elliptical or treadmill but I use incline to give a little extra oomph.

My advice, cut somewhere else in your budget and hire an ACE certified trainer...it is very important to do exercises correctly to avoid injury and also to actually see results from the work.

Another thing you want to do is body weight exercises, such as dips, modified push ups, things like that.... and light weights, high reps to keep lean muscle, and not bulk up at all....though it is hard for us to bulk anyway....and I have gained in strength and do increase the weight slowly over time...and my core has improved dramatically and my posture is so much better.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Most Active