400 pounder... should I sleeve???

Maintaining Cindy
on 11/21/11 5:54 am
Incredible Paul!!!

loveablevixen
on 11/19/11 2:14 pm - bklyn, NY
Hello,

I am 380 lbs, I am doing my pre opt now. I am going for the vsg, My doctor wants me to lose 22 lbs for 2 reasons, to shrink my liver and to have good progress after the surgery.

Being obessed in finding knowledge on ALL WLS. It's good to lose as much as you can before surgery regardless if your doctor suggest it or not. I hope it helps. Good Luck!
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:00 pm
Your dr won't let you have surgery until you lose 20 pounds?
sleevegirl
on 11/19/11 2:46 pm, edited 11/19/11 2:46 pm - Austin, TX
I started at 375, surgery was 1 day shy of 5 months ago. I lost 20 pounds pre-op and 76 so far since surgery, so a grand total of 96 pounds. I have every faith that I can plug away and hit goal. Look at my profile (scroll to the bottom) to see my monthly and weekly totals, if you are curious. Love my sleeve

I work out now. I am doing 5ks, for crying out loud. I feel great!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:05 pm
Did you lose the 20 pounds preop because you had to or wanted to? Now I'm concerned that he will ask me to and then push my surgery date back. Eek. I doubt I can lose 20 pounds in 20 days! Maybe if I start a liquid diet today...
Twizzled D.
on 11/20/11 12:33 am
 Check with your surgeon as to his requirements. This was something that worried me too, because after a summer of 4x/week exercise and counting every calorie I ate, I had gained weight. Even now, 6 weeks after my initial surgeon consult, adding protein shakes, cutting out snacking, no caffeine, no junk food... my weight hasn't changed. I had told my surgeon about this - and his rationale is, I was coming to him for surgery because I can't lose on my own through diet/exercise, so how would it be fair to me to require I lose X% of my weight before surgery? His only requirement is that I don't *gain* weight before the surgery, because that'd show I'm not committed to the lifestyle change. I'm honestly glad for that, because in the last 6 weeks I've hovered right around where I've been since August, but now I'm up about 2-3 due to TOM week. Every surgeon seems to have his/her own pre-op requirements (My mom had to lose 10% of her body weight before they'd submit to insurance) - so check with your surgeon about what he/she requires. 

Good luck!!
-Kristi

sleevegirl
on 11/21/11 12:06 am - Austin, TX
A preop diet was required. I am not sure that I HAD to lose anything, but a 2 shakes and one very low carb meal per day diet dropped 20 pounds in 14 days for me. I'm sure it was mostly water, etc etc, but that was the only requirement - that I do the diet. The 20 pounds was just because I did it and didn't cheat (although I must say it was SO hard)

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 10:37 am
I haven't had my preop appointment yet but I talked to the nurse and she said if I gain weight they will cancel the surgery. She said there is a liquid diet 1 day before and that I shouldn't really being eating high fat or sugar meals. Today I had a shake, a g2 gatorade, a greek yogurt with fruit in it and a protein bar (that actually has kind of a lot of carbs...) and I'm about to eat grilled chicken and veggies for dinner with diet tea or crystal light. This is my first day and I am probably doing it all wrong and eating the wrong things. I was starving the entire day. I think I need to drink a lot of water and maybe I will feel less hungry.
sleevegirl
on 11/21/11 5:06 pm - Austin, TX
Every doctor is different and you should follow that doctor's plan.

Mine was 1 shake for breakfast and 1 for lunch (protein, low car, I used Pure Protein pre-mixed). Then I could have 4 oz of chicken or fish, no sauce. And a small salad with no fat dressing or steamed veggies (no fat added). That's it. I was STARVING, but just hang in there. 

I believe I could have SF jello and popsicles and I was to keep under 20 or 30 carbs. It was tough. 

AGAIN - follow your surgeon's plan.

theshrinkingmimi
on 11/19/11 3:39 pm

My surgeon explained that VSG was intended to be the first step of a 2-stage procedure for those who had 200 or more pounds to lose. However,  alot of people didn't need the second stage. VSG works if you work it. Each person has to take responsibility, but the VSG makes it easier for me to do that.

I was a serious binge eater- like an addict. It could be making me sick, and I would continue. I paced the floor when I wanted to avoid a binge. I cried alot about it.

Now I can't binge, and I love it! I've done the therapy to get help wrapping my head around it all. I have other ways of dealing with stress and anxiety. I am  consistent at working out (started around month 2). I focus on protein and water.

This is so doable. I wasn't willing to have my colon touched. I figured that I could have the results that I want with only one organ affected.

Good luck.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
Most Active
Recent Topics