400 pounder... should I sleeve???

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/19/11 7:33 am - TN
There are 4 types of WLS:

Lap Band, VSG, Roux-en-Y (aka RNY aka Gastric Bypass), and Duodenal Switch.

So, you did know what it was! Just by a different name. :)

Lindsey

AmberK
on 11/19/11 7:38 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 OHHHHH! Hahah, thank you. So, I know three of them, what is the duodenal switch? 
Dawnie 88
on 11/19/11 7:43 am
The DS (duodenal switch) is our sleeved stomach..PLUS the rerouting of the intestines..

JordynsMommy
on 11/19/11 7:34 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
RNY stands for Roux en Y which is same as Gastric Bypass.
AmberK
on 11/19/11 7:39 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 thanks!
Ulysses
on 11/19/11 7:36 am

AmberK,

Roux-en-Y or RNY is just another term for the Gastric Bypass -

Cheers!

Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

AmberK
on 11/19/11 7:39 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with
 thank you! 
BuckeyeGirl
on 11/19/11 7:29 am - TN
Welcome to the boards!

I love my sleeve and its done wonders for me...but...according to your BMI of 61.3, you would have to lose 230 lbs to get into the normal weight range. It can be done, but it will be a feat.

You need to make sure you have a surgeon whose patients are successful with VSG. Ask your surgeon how his/her SMO patients have fared with the VSG. If his nurse is telling you that they usually only lose 100 lbs and come back wishing they had a different surgery type...well, I would seriously consider those results and perhaps shop around for a more successful surgeon.

There have been some very successful sleevers on here including someone who has lost over 300 lbs. So, it can be done; however, that particular VSGer has a very well-known surgeon who has lots of success stories with SMO patients.

Jason is doing amazing with his sleeve, but I think his numbers are a bit higher than the norm because he had some complications right out of surgery. I'll leave it to him if he wants to tell his story, but I just wanted to point that out because most people do not lose that much in 7 months under normal cir****tances... that I'm aware of at least.

If you decide you need malabsorption, I would consider the DS over the RNY. The stomach in the DS is the same as the sleeve, so no problems typically associated with a pouch. There are some serious supplement needs with the DS though, so you'd have to take that into account and make sure that is something you can keep up on daily.

I hate to be down on the sleeve, because again, I love mine, but I just want to make sure you do what is best for your specific situation.

Keep us updated on what you choose!

Best,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 7:44 am
Thank you. What is SMO? My medical group ONLY uses this guy, but everyone says he's really good (for RNY). I am not so sure about the nurse and her information because she said that VSG had the same vitamin deficiencies and RNY because you are only consuming 2 oz of food so "of course you can't get all of your nutrients from 2 oz of food"...... *sigh* She also said that the dr said his patients lose an average of 70% of excess weight with VSG and 85% with RNY but kept throwing out the "100 pounds" even though my 70%=161 pounds. At his seminar, the Dr. said that he makes his sleeves pretty small/tight and that this can cause discomfort and nausea right after surgery. I thought a small sleeve would be a good thing... but I don't know much. Maybe it's not a good idea to get info from the nurse. About the patients she said that she has a lot come back saying they didn't lose as much as they wanted and that the RNY never say that and that does scare me.

Is there any way to look up success rates for drs??

BuckeyeGirl
on 11/19/11 10:29 am - TN
SMO stands for Super Morbid Obese...it is just a BMI category.

Well if he is your only choice and RNY v. VSG is your only choice, I would say the VSG would be a good decision for you. Having a stomach over a pouch is a big advantage, I think, as well as keeping the pyloric valve.

Like you've heard from so many on this board, others have lost a similar amount or even more with the sleeve and if you are committed, you can do it too!

I think I read your date is coming up in December...that's just around the corner! Very exciting! I was sleeved in the beginning of December last year, and let me tell you, the holidays were kind of a mind trip because I was still on liquids/soft foods, but hang in there. The first few weeks may be rough, but it gets so much better after that!!

Best,
Lindsey

Most Active
Recent Topics