DID PEOPLE AT WORK TREAT U DIFFERENT WHEN U RETURNED TO WORK?

precious_diamond38
on 10/26/11 6:10 am - VA

For some reason there are a few folks who dont speak, talk to me since i returned to work since ive had surgery.. I  have no ideal with the problem is but life goes on.. Ive heard sometimes your relationship with people will change but dang i havent even gotten out of my fat girl clothes yet lol...

joie_de_sleeve
on 10/26/11 7:17 am - IN
Yes, I've noticed it most with my boss. She had the surgery herself a few years ago, so now we have a point of connection, I guess. She's treating me much better than she was treating me this time last year when she seemed to be going along with our resident mean-girls in an effort to push me out of my job. (I'll remain cautious though... it's that kind of office.)

I also suspect that I am behaving differently towards others. I've still got a long way to go in my weight loss (eventhough I'm down two sizes-- YAY) but I feel more confident and a bit less willing to put up with BS. I feel less anxious and am surprised that I have only had to resort to popping bubble wrap-- my replacement for eating Doritoz-- once since I've been back. Maybe it's the weight loss. Maybe it's the change in the way my boss regards me. Maybe a bit of both.

VSG 7/26/11

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

MyOwnSunshine
on 10/26/11 7:23 am
They sure do!

They were so glad to have me back after being gone for 2-1/2 weeks that they treat me like the greatest supervisor in the world.  People literally come into my office and hug me on a daily basis.

After I told everyone that I was gone for WLS, they are constantly complimenting me and encouraging me in my WLS endeavors.  Several people are going to attend the WLS seminars that are coming up.

People are paying so much attention to me that I feel like I'm a science experiment and the whole unit is gathering data from me on a daily basis.  It's kind of funny and I'm enjoying the positive attention.  Recent conversations at the desk include the fact that the muscles in my arms are now really defined, and inquiries as to how my boobs are holding up with the weight loss.  They marvel at my ability to say no to cookies and candy brought in by various people.

Also, people that I haven't seen for a while keep complimenting me on my hair (not different than before surgery), because they know I look better but can't quite figure out why. 

I'm happy that I decided to be "out" about my surgery once I returned to work.  I never expected so much support and encouragement from my co-workers, and haven't received a single negative remark (to my face).

Seriously, though, I'm sorry you're having a hard time.  Sometimes, if people sense that you are uncomfortable with a subject, they try to avoid it, and sometimes you, which is unfortunate.  Also, if someone is suddently making healthy choices, it makes others feel extra guilty about their bad choices, which creates negative tension as well.  Just keep your head up and do your work -- even if it doesn't get better soon, you'll eventually be the skinniest and hottest employee there, and that will be great revenge!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
jessicae
on 10/26/11 7:52 am
  i work with 75 women and 3 men and am an asst. director at a day care center.  i was only going to tell my administrative team about surgery but the week before decided to come clean and went door to door to tell people what i was having done and how long i would be out.  i'm really glad i did.  they have been very supportive for the most part.  of course working with that many women, there's always going to be some type of gossip going around, and even though this is my first week back at work, i already notice some people staring at me when they think i'm notlooking.  there's always that fear that i'm being judged, but like one of the other ladies above said, i feel like i'm less tolerant to bs now.  i joke with my employees that they took my tolerance out with my stomach.  

they were excited to have me back and i'm getting lots of hugs now, so overall i think it was apositive experience. 

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

SassyItalian
on 10/26/11 8:04 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
yea, my jealous direct supervisor told me i no longer had an ass...

crazy, i think all my lost fat went to her head.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

skylark2011
on 10/26/11 8:17 am
It happens sometimes.  I had a great friend that now avoids me like the plague...it really sucks, but I cant do anything about it. Ive tried to text him and call him on it and he simply refuses to talk about it at all. It hurt and confused me, but what can you do? *shrugs*

we can only control how we react to things, not how others react.  They will either come around or not.  Dont stress yourself out about it. 

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

Chana
on 10/26/11 9:08 am
I'm so sorry you're having problems with this.  Thankfully, my office has been terrific.  Lots of compliments and "welcome back"s  from everyone.  Best of all, though, today a colleague who is a big guy came into my office, shut the door, and said "Give me the full dope on the surgery, because I'm thinking maybe I need to do this too."  I told him about my experience, he asked a lot of great questions, and tonight I feel like a million dollars knowing that I may have helped a young man find a way to  healthier future.
precious_diamond38
on 10/26/11 9:19 am - VA
Most of my coworker's were happy to see me. I did recvd a few hugs and some were so shocked to see how ive changed in just 3 short weeks... but there's a few that walk by like they never even seen me before when we use to talk on a regular basis... Im not stressed about it just funny to me how folks change because i decided to do this surgery for me and my kids so i can be there for them ..

maggieandrockysmo
mma

on 10/26/11 10:08 am
I work in a very small office and had told almost everyone (well, I thought I told everybody but found out after I returned that a few people actually did not know) about my surgery because I spend most of my time that I am not at home with them, and since we all work in the medical field (nurses/PT/OT), I didn't want anyone to worry since we see lots of cancer patients and the minute we all see a big weight loss, cancer comes to mind.  For the most part, they all have been very supportive. 
As you lose weight, I have noticed some relationships have changed, but mostly with my family.  But I also realize that I have changed too... and that gives it some perspective....
Also, be prepared for something that I was not really prepared for... nor expected... lately everyone has been giving their opinion, whether I ask for it or not, on whether I should lose more weight.  

precious_diamond38
on 10/26/11 10:16 am - VA
lol... ooh boy well im glad i know now what to look forward too ...

Most Active
Recent Topics