On Verge of Quitting

hrford
on 9/30/11 2:00 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 It's been a rough day.  Some of you have read the difficulties I've been having with my surgeon's office and they came to a head today.  I'm at the point where I dont' know if I want anything to do with these people.  I realize my surgeon has no control over his staff, it isn't like a normal office.  After researching my surgeon i was very pleased with him but his staff is atrocious.  Here's a recap/timeline:

Sept 13th - Go to Dr's class - included him, psych and dietician.

Sept 15th - call to make my appointments and call center tells me there is no referral for EGD.

Sept 16th - make sure referral hasn't shown in system and call and leave message on voicemail.

Sept 20th - Still no call from office, call back  (I'm calling because I'm not sure if they were going to do the EGD themselves or if I really do need a referral)

Sept 21st - go to my PCM and he puts in referral to GI for EGD.

Sept 26th - Call to make EGD appointment.  They tell me first one to see the Dr. for a consult not the actual appointment is 25 Oct.  I go ahead and take it but immediately call my surgeon's office to see if there is anything to do about it.

Sept 27th - Call office again

Sept 28th - Call office again - later someone calls me back and gets my sponsors social but says he can't help me I'll have to wait.

Sept 29th - nothing

Sept 30th - head nurse finally calls.  has super big attitude when I say I've been calling since the 16th (like I'm lieing).  Tells me I never should have made GI referral (of course I wouldn't have if someone had called me back) and he's not sure he can do anything for me.  I say it could be January till I get the EGD done.  He said, oh well we'll schedule surgery after it is done.  I said there's a good chance I will be gone in June I need to have the surgery by February, he said well that won't happen if you have the EGD in Jan., we're booking out 12 weeks.  I KNOW THAT! That's why I need help getting one sooner.  

I'm so upset I don't even want to have anything to do with the office anymore.  I realize I am biting off my nose to spite my face but the amount of stress this has put on me is huge.  Do I really need that?  I'm seriously considering getting all my stuff done including the EGD whenever it happens and saying **** you to this office and waiting till we PCS in June and get it done there.  As long as I continue to see the NUT I should be fine and not have a wait when I get there.  If we only end up PCSing to the Pentagon (a possibility) I will just have to suck it up and have them do it at that office.

I'm just not sure if the stress is worth it to fight this.  Maybe some advice from people who aren't so emotional would be helpful.  thank you.

*BTW I've called my patient advocate for DAYS and they haven't called back either.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

wljsransom
on 9/30/11 2:25 am - AL
This journey is a long a tuff journey. You are doing this for you. Just be patient. I had my surgery done in Columbia sc. Dr. Tribble office. It took me 6 months to get my surgery. The dr called me because there was someone who had an emergency and cancelled there surgery. So I gave a gift to myself that christmas. I had surgery dec 23. Got out of the hospital on christmas day. Also you can get your Referal changed to another dr. Call the comander of the hospital and call the base paper  they usually have a area ask a question to the commander. You have to be patient. It is a long process and if the dr office is not doing there job. then you need to find another office. But they get lots of calls and have to deal with lots of people daily. This surgery is a life changing tool. It is not for everyone. You must be willing to follow the diet and exercise program. the things that they are doing as for classes is normal. Just be patient. We will pray for you
Proud Af wife
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:37 am - Canada
Why not just come to Mexico with me and have it done there. No hoops to jump through!
hrford
on 9/30/11 9:46 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 Honestly if I could I seriously thought about it.  But I am saving that money for the plastics I'll need post surgery.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/

injeneral
on 9/30/11 2:39 am
What is PCSing?
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

hrford
on 9/30/11 3:32 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Permanent Change of Station aka moving.

Ulysses
on 9/30/11 3:33 am
I think its a military acronym for Permanent Change of Station

Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

hrford
on 9/30/11 3:53 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 For some reason it is not letting me update my original post but anyway

ETA: My husband is pretty pissed too, and he usually doesn't get pissed about anything, he's decided that I've tried to do right, it isn't working so he's wearing his uniform and heading to Bethesda on Monday and is going to take care of it the best he can.  For some reason having a man in uniform show up suddenly fixes things.  I wi**** weren't so but I know it to be true.  

Also on another board a woman wrote that she is having the exact same issues with the coordinator, so it isn't just me.  For some reason that makes me feel better.

USAF Wife
on 9/30/11 5:13 am
Oh chickee, I'm sorry you're getting **** from this office, and the patient advocate is being a douchebag ! ! ! I know it's not what you want to hear, but I have couple of friends that went through the same **** with Bethesda, grant it, they were in different clinics, like peds and endo for their kids and their issues, but apparently, it's a pretty rampant issue with Bethesda.

I agree that your husband going up there will help. I know it shouldn't, but it does. If he has a shirt, he could always get him involved since the shirt is the go between the force and command, and when family is involved, it technically effects him as well, and that's when the military seems to give 2 ****s. I'm not sure why it works, but it does. As much as I hate to use it, I've tackled our shirt and said "hey can you put in the call?" and if you can't tell me where/who to go to so I can get this resolved my husband doesn't have the time or energy or leave days to take off to take care of it for me.

It took me 3 solid months to get everything hammered out for my revision, and while I was NOT well-liked, my surgeon was phenomenal, and it was worth my fight. Of course, I don't have to deal with DC traffic, or Bethesda bull**** plus my kiddo was older, so you do have a lot more obstacles, but I can tell you that my fight was well worth it.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

hrford
on 9/30/11 5:56 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 So my husband called the Commander of nursing this afternoon and I just got off the phone with my surgeon's coordinator and surprise surprise I will have an EGD in October!

Who woulda thunk it.

Most Active
Recent Topics