Post op sleep study results

Kristy R.
on 9/23/11 7:00 am - Santa Clara, CA
Hi everyone - 

Although I am not done with my weight loss, I requested to have another sleep study as I have met my dedutible and I am going to be switching insurance plans soon.  I was told by my sleep dr that weight loss surgery may not signifigantly impact my sleep apnea due to my bone structure.

I am THRILLED to report that is NOT the case!

I went from exceeding 90 events per hour to 13.6 events per hour.  I now have mild obstructive sleep apnea, instead of very severe.  They did not even put me on the CPAP for the study since it is not required with less than 20 events an hour.  I was in NO way expecting this - I still cannot believe it.  I was expecting maybe 70 events an hour or something like that!

I do not know if I will still need the CPAP yet, I have to do the follow up with my dr.  But I got the official report today.  And I cried with relief.  I feel so amazed and blessed yet again to have this second chance at life.  I can only imagine that the remaining 20 pounds will have more positive impact.

Continued best wishes to everyone.  xo
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Ms. Poker Face
on 9/23/11 7:37 am
That is great news for you!  Congrats!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

sourcherriex
on 9/23/11 7:38 am - CA
 That's so great! Congrats to you and hopefully you don't have to have the cpap. What a difference!
 ~Marisa~

janielynne
on 9/23/11 7:44 am
That is great news.  I was wondering if i should request another study also.  I have to admit that I have not used my CPAP since surgery.  I hate that damn thing. I have been thinking that I should start using it for maybe at least a month, then go see the Pulmonologist.  Then get sleep study again. 

I'm hoping you will not need the CPAP anymore... Those are great results. 
Continued success with your weight loss...

Jane

wert
on 9/23/11 8:02 am - MN
Interesting. I have an appointment next week to talk to my doc about having another sleep study done to see if I still need my CPAP.  

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Paige V.
on 9/23/11 8:12 am - Gainesville, FL
yay!!!

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 9/23/11 8:15 am - Tuvalu

See if you can get an AutoPAP, which will adjust itself within preset ranges and keep track of how you are using it...in case you soon need even less help.
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/11 8:56 am
I hate my CPAP too, but am grateful I got diagnosed. Apnea is very prevalent in my family and my cousin's 21 year old daughter died from apnea in her first year of law school, and she was slim. How scary is that? So, I will keep using mine unless I get a sleep study with no events per hour. Just a cautionary tale, as people don't realize how serious sleep apnea really is.
Kristy R.
on 9/23/11 2:23 pm - Santa Clara, CA
I hope that I don't have to use CPAP anymore. I rip the mask off at night no matter what I try. I've tried diff masks. Wearing a hat tied over the mask worked for a while but then I started just taking that off too. 4 hours is usually how long I go. The Dr said that was ok. Now I don't even keep it on that long...
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Most Active
Recent Topics