my surgeon said no NSAIDS

Paige V.
on 9/21/11 10:25 am - Gainesville, FL
So, I never thought to ask him about it since everything I had read stated that I could have NSAIDS. Then on my discharge instructions the nurse STRESSED to me that I could never have NSAIDS again.....that it could cause ulcerations...that the only thing I could ever have again was chewable baby aspirin.

Well, I obviously have not seen my surgeon to talk to him about this, but I am stumped. Has anyone else been told this by their surgeon?

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

USAF Wife
on 9/21/11 10:33 am, edited 9/21/11 10:34 am
I would say that 1 in 4 surgeons tell their patients this. However, it's well documented that is not the case with VSG.

I take a regular baby (non-chewable) aspirin every day for the rest of my life. My high risk ob was elated when he found out I had a "partial gastrectomy" instead of RNY due to my clotting disorder.

Anyways, I've been taking NSAIDS, even big ole honking 800mg RX Ibuprofen since being 6-7 weeks out. I always make sure I take it with something on my stomach be it a few crackers or some yogurt.

Alternative to a Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
The Vertical Gastrectomy is a reasonable alternative to a Roux en Y Gastric Bypass for a number of reasons

1. Because there is no intestinal bypass, the risk of malabsorptive complications such as vitamin deficiency and protein deficiency is minimal.
  2. There is no risk of marginal ulcer which occurs in over 2% of Roux en Y Gastric Bypass patients.
  3. The pylorus is preserved so dumping syndrome does not occur or is minimal.
  4. There is no intestinal obstruction since there is no intestinal bypass.
  5. It is relatively easy to modify to an alternative procedure should weight loss be inadequate or weight regain occur.
  6. The limited two year and 6 year weight loss data available to date is superior to current Banding and comparable to  Gastric Bypass weight loss data(see Lee, Jossart, Cirangle Surgical Endoscopy 2007).

1. Those who are concerned about the potential long term side effects of an intestinal bypass such as intestinal obstruction, ulcers, anemia, osteoporosis, protein deficiency and vitamin deficiency.
  2. Those who are considering a Lap-Band® but are concerned about a foreign body or worried about frequent adjustments or finding a band adjustment physician.
  3. Those who have other medical problems that prevent them from having weight loss surgery such as anemia, Crohn’s disease, extensive prior surgery, severe asthma requiring frequent steroid use, and other complex medical conditions.
  4. People who need to take anti-inflammatory medications may also want to consider the Vertical Gastrectomy. Unlike the gastric bypass where these medications are associated with a very high incidence of ulcer, the VSG does not seem to have the same issues.  Also, Lap-Band patients are at higher risks for complications from NSAID use.

100s appeals are won against insurance companies because VSG patients can indeed take NSAIDs/Steroids.

I'm not saying go against your doctor's advice, or orders, but the findings cited above are from the "pioneers" of VSG as a stand alone procedure. There's more info on pubmed and springerlink if you really wanna dig around for more information.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ulysses
on 9/21/11 10:37 am
NO - my surgeon is fine with NSAIDS

I really hope they (the surgeons) would come to a mutual agreement on NSAIDS.
There are zero medication restrictions with VSG.
Now that doesn't mean that some surgeons would prefer their patients not use them.....

Reading this forum could cause ulcerations!

Good luck!

Jasom

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

boomercd
on 9/21/11 10:44 am - OH
I would ask why, I think sometimes we get lumped into the same category with RNY patients. the same way most people assume you've had RNY if they know you've had WLS, like that is the only surgery around.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 10:45 am
Ditto the above, plus aspirin is a NSAID.. It's best to wait till you're fully healed, but it is not contra-indicated per everything I've read.
(deactivated member)
on 9/21/11 10:57 am
My dr said no NSAIDs also, but when i questioned that, they said occasional short term use is okay at six months out, but long- term use is discouraged.
Jan G.
on 9/21/11 10:57 am - WI
I am on a NSAID patch until I am HEALED..still struggling in that dept. Its called Rx Flector which is Diclofenac for my spinal stenosis. I have had gastritis before and didnt' even know it.
So.. becareful.. we're now more prone to ulcers.

Good luck in getting your pain relief.

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

ChangingNow
on 9/21/11 11:02 am, edited 9/21/11 11:02 am - OH
My surgeon also says no NSAIDs.  He recognizes that VSG has minimal risk of ulcers, but his conservative approach is to not take anything that might impact the little bit of stomach that remains.

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

Krazydoglady
on 9/21/11 11:13 am - FL
My surgeon says No Asprin, No NSAIDS, and No Steroids.  If I use my steroid eye drops for more than a few days, I'm supposed to go on a stomach med.  I was instructed to wear a medic-alert bracelet (actually I wear dogtags) that say No Blind NSG, No Asprin, No NSAIDS they feel so strongly about it. 

One of the reasons I chose Dr. Kim, besides the fact he's a very experienced surgeon, is that he's on the Research Committee of the ASBMS and he chairs the public education committee. He's not a 'newbie' surgeon, by any stretch, in fact he trains other surgeons.  If he has access to compelling evidence that there is no risk from NSAIDS to VSG patients, I have to presume that he wouldn't be so firm in his direction not to use them.  I  trusted his skill in the operating room, his diet program, etc. I'm not sure I'm ready to go 'off the reservation' with regard to NSAIDs.

USAF Wife has had a different experience and has no problems with them. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Jenny C.
on 9/21/11 11:25 am
My surgeon's advice is: occasional course of NSAIDS totally fine, but take a PPI during treatment.  Even though we don't have the stoma--which is very vulnerable to ulcers--we have tiny stomachs.  So the exposure of the stomach tissue is more concentrated which does up the ulcer risk some.  But that's just my guy.

Most Active
Recent Topics