x post- please give input ..my 2 plastic surgeons have differing opinions!

michellemj
on 9/14/11 11:02 pm
I think what makes this particular study more interesting is that these women didn't gain weight and the fat still came back. The body weight did not differ between the 2 groups, both at the start and end of study, and BMIs started at 22-27.

And this paragraph from the paper basically takes it home from me (the fat just comes back):
Suction lipectomy resulted in a reduction in %BF at 6 weeks (0.28% loss (control) vs. 2.1% loss (lipectomy); adjusted difference (AD): −1.82%; CI: −2.79 to −0.71; P = 0.0002). At 6-months this difference decreased to −1.45% (0.10% (control) vs. −1.35% (lipectomy); P = 0.03), and by 1 year the differences were no longer significant (0.59% (control) vs. −0.41% (lipectomy); P = 0.23). This result was reproduced in the skinfold and circumference measures (Table 2). Total fat mass was also
reduced at 6 weeks but returned by 1 year. Six-month changes were consistent with this trend (see Supplementary Tables S1 and S2 online), and support the longer-term trajectory toward
no difference between lipectomy and control in terms of total BF across measures.

STUPID FAT. There's no winning, huh?

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Carmelita
on 9/14/11 7:57 am - Four Corners, NM
Sass..here's ONE website where PS talk about it click the MORE after a PSs response....looks like Lipo will remove...but ya got other fat in other areas of yer body right! ....gain weight..THEM fat cells FILL...and shrink...Fill and shrink....that's why you may have bulge problems in other areas. GO FOR IT!!

http://www.realself.com/question/coollipo-regrow-fat-cells-s trange-places
NewStart145
on 9/14/11 8:47 am - GA

If you decide to go for it - I would at least request to talk with some of his patients (bariatric ones in particular) and see if you can review their results.

Stella S.
on 9/14/11 9:32 am
Before my consults, I assumed lipo with any procedure would be a given.  I was told I didn't need lipo...and basically had very little body fat, which was a good thing to hear.  

But I do have a big problem area (lateral hips)  and my surgeon said that most PS's will go to the tool they know best, lipo.  However, it doesn't work well when you have a significant weight loss based on the skin's integrity.  I would think maybe the lipo in the back would be the most effective...but the flanks and thighs may just make more issues since you are not getting a circumferential surgery. 

My thought would be to get your 3rd consult, but go with the person that has the most experience with WLS patients. Definitely ask very specific questions and if they are wishy washy or don't answer to your degree of satisfaction...keep looking for another surgeon.  But definitely go with someone that can produce pics from other WLS patients since our bodies are very different. 

Good luck! 
edelu
on 9/14/11 10:42 am - los angeles, CA
I've had some surgeries and a lot of lipo over a period of time.  The biggest regret i have is having lipo on my thighs.  I wasn't a bariatric patient then but i had a weight loss of 100 and the lipo worsened my thighs to the point that I ended up getting a thigh lift which i would not have had had i not had the lipo.  Lipo on the back was great but it doesn't do anything for cellulite except in my case make the appearance of it worse.
Most Active
Recent Topics