I need the scoop on soup!

kalimamasmom
on 9/13/11 12:35 pm

Howdy!  Second question of the night....
What to do about soup?
We can not drink liquids with our meals, but can have chili...so what is everyon'e suggestion.  I make a ton of crock-pot soups during the winter and I feel a batch of home-made tortilla soup in the near future...low fat, high protein, low carb deliciousness.  Do I just pull out the good stuff and leave the "soup"?
How does everyone else handle this?
Thanks in advance!

KathyA999
on 9/13/11 12:45 pm
At 13 months out, I still can't drink and eat at the same time - gives me foamy burps.  I imagine that's my future, which I'm perfectly fine with.  So with liquid-y things, I pretty much eat all the solids and leave the liquid - not a problem!  If the liquid is thicker, I can eat it, with things such as chili.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Jan G.
on 9/13/11 1:05 pm - WI

Full liquid stage then mushies.. included blended soups. So you'd take your homemade soup and blend it.

Then you can have it w/o blending it.

I can eat it now w/o blending it sometimes if its onlt small pieces. I just CHEW the pieces very very well. It also helps with ONLY have such sweet tasting things, like SF popsicles, protein drinks etc.

ENJOY!!

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

CoolBeans
on 9/13/11 1:37 pm - MD
 I asked my Nut about this. Paraphrasing her recommendation it seemed soups be either one way or the other. In other words if you are going to have a liquid based soup have that, but if it is going to be full of stuff, then make it very full (like a stew) so that you are not "drinking" and taking solids at the same time. 
 Cari    
USAF Wife
on 9/13/11 8:48 pm
On September 13, 2011 at 8:37 PM Pacific Time, CoolBeans wrote:
 I asked my Nut about this. Paraphrasing her recommendation it seemed soups be either one way or the other. In other words if you are going to have a liquid based soup have that, but if it is going to be full of stuff, then make it very full (like a stew) so that you are not "drinking" and taking solids at the same time. 
YEP, this exactly. I make super thick/stewy type soups, my chili is pretty thick so it's not really liquidy. It would be more closely definited as a mushy food stage. At 27 months out, it isn't a big deal to have a brothy soup. I can obviously eat more chicken tortilla soup than I can chili, but I don't have to be as diligent with the whole liquid foods at this point.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kalimamasmom
on 9/13/11 11:18 pm
Thanks ladies!  That's what I needed to know!

Most Active
Recent Topics