Pain meds intolerance...help?

kalimamasmom
on 9/13/11 12:31 pm
Hello fellow VSG'ers!
I have a dilemna...anyone experience the same or have any suggestions...

I took Lortab (liquid vicodin) after surgery and no probs.  I have had trouble with codeine, but this stuff didn't bug me.
Then, a month ago, I had a tooth pulled and they prescribed vicodin.  Well, it put me in a-fib and gave me the worst stomach pain of my entire life.  They even gave me delaudid at the ER and it didn't take the pain in my tummy away.  So, needless to say, no more vicodin.
Now I am having trouble with another tooth, so I called the family doc to see if she would prescribe the Lortab and she said absolutely not with the reaction to the vicodin after the VSG. 
What in the world can I take now??!!  She prescribed Ultram and told me I must eat with it...I took it, no troubles, but not touching the pain.
Has anyone had pain med issues after surgery?
I'm dying!  Ok, I'm really not, but I feel like it...okay, maybe just gouging my eyes out of their sockets, but that's really it... :)

tanieanie
on 9/13/11 12:43 pm - WI
I see we had our surgeries the same week and have lost the same amount of weight!  Yay Us!
The not so good similarity is that I also have developed what my Dr calls a sensitivity to narcotics.  If you can call Huge blood pressure changes, dizzyness,  heart PVC's and violent vomiting a sensativity.  LOL   Luckily I was already at the hospital when those signs started.  When I was 2 months out I had a lodged large kidney stone that landed me in the ER.  They gave me vicadin and the above happened.  I was sent home and told to see the urolagist the next day.  The neurologist then gave me hydrocodone or hydrocodine. cant remember.   My hubby ended up taking me to the ER because I couldnt even stand up from the side effects of the med.  They ended up keeping me in the hospital because they realized I could handle the narcotics via IV but not by mouth.  My guess is its linked to my recent VSG.  So I stayed in the hospital untill my surgery and some time after since they could only suppress the pain with IV meds.  So bad news,  it probably is related to the VSG.... Good news is you can still get the happy meds via IV if you really need them.

kalimamasmom
on 9/13/11 12:56 pm
OMGosh!  I had the same, exact symptoms.  Well, nuts...I don't think they're going to put me in the hospital for tooth pain...:)
Thanks for telling your story though, I thought I was weird!  Well, I am, but at least there is someone right along side of me!

tanieanie
on 9/13/11 1:08 pm - WI
Thats ok.  we can be weird together.

SHOOT we havent lost the same amount.  I was looking at you weight loss left to go and not what you have lost.   You have lost alot more than me.   Well Im going to go put my head in the oven now.  LOL

Tanya

kalimamasmom
on 9/13/11 1:15 pm
LOL!  Please don't put your head in the oven...you may end up needing narcotics for the pain ROFLOL!

I just push the protein and water and keep my carbs @ 60-90 grams per day.  I'm still between 800-1000 calories per day by choice because I stick with the protein.  I still have a protein drink and bar per day and then 3 small meals.

My NUT wanted me up to 1350 calories per day, but I physically couldn't get that much down without eating twinkies and fried food, and, I'm just not going there!

Jen

Lisa D.
on 9/13/11 1:30 pm - New Orleans, LA
Try ibuprofen.  It specifically attacks tooth pain better than aspirin, acetaminophin, naproxen, etc.  I don't know why, but it does.  I had an infected temporary crown and that was the only thing that worked. I did take a higher than recommended dose but I can't advise that for anyone else.
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

amanda D.
on 9/13/11 2:26 pm - Stayton, OR
I have a severe intolerance to codine.  But I can take Lortab no problem, however I can NOT take the pill form of vicodin without getting extreemely itchy, hives, and sweaty.   

I honestly think it is how it is processed/made that causes the intolerance.

emdesq
on 9/13/11 4:00 pm
I have a horrible reaction to anything codeine-related - oxycontin, vicodin, oxycodone, Norco, dilaudid, lortab (yes, I know I am repeating myself with some of these!).  I had to take Demerol after surgery, and it helped a little.  Luckily I didn't have a great deal of pain.  I moved on to Advil within a couple of days.  It sucks to be allergic to the "good stuff"!!

Ready for my world to change!
HW394/SW373/GW Under 200