Needing advice from anyone that has had VSG

judylynn518
on 9/11/11 4:58 am - MI
 I am new to this site.  I am scheduled to have the VSG on September 20th.  I currently weigh 381 and really need to lose 150 pds or more.  Is this the best surgery for this needed amount of weight loss??  My insurance company will only cover this surgery once a lifetime so this is my one shot.  I've read a lot of negative comments about this surgery.  Are there any successes??  Please help!!
kmcook
on 9/11/11 5:14 am
There are tons of sucess stories out there!  This surgery is really amazing!!  I feel like I have a normal life, I just eat less.  I haven't lost 150 but I started at 238 I am down 55 pounds in 3 months!!  You will probably lose faster then I did.  All I can say is good luck and I love my sleeve and would do it over again in a heart beat!! 

evlanspice
on 9/11/11 5:15 am
What type of negative things have you read?  I have not seen anything negative other than the norman risks and warnings.
LeahBea
on 9/11/11 5:15 am
VSG on 05/31/11 with
1. Yes, you can definitely lose that much weight with a VSG.
2. What were the negatives that you read?
3. Are there any successes? I literally laughed out loud at that (please don't take that the wrong way, not meant to be mean)... Take a look around this forum, there are TONS of people that have been successful with this surgery.

Leah

evlanspice
on 9/11/11 5:16 am
I'm sorry.....I meant normal not norman
Maggie71
on 9/11/11 5:18 am - MI
I have to say, I''m only two months out but if you want to read about successes, this is the site.
So many people on this site have had the surgery and post that the only regret they have is not having done it sooner.
   Just the other day I told my husband that it was the best think I ever did!  I have lost 38 lbs and feel fabulous.  I have energy, no side effects and feel like there is hope.  My doctor told me that many times complications happen because of not following the rules.  I know that's not the only reason, but you shouldn't have this surgery if you are not going to committ to being on the program your doctors has for you.  For that matter, non of the surgeries will work if you don't follow the program.

Success???? Look around and you will find a whole lot  right here on this site.  Good Luck with your decision.

maggie

jc_in_tn
on 9/12/11 5:23 am - Hixson, TN
Hey now... Not having done it sooner, I resemble that remark. LOL  Go VSG!
Highest: 550  -- 2004
Consult: 438  - June 17, 2010, Surgery:  386, Current: 265

KathyA999
on 9/11/11 5:22 am
There's a forum on here for those in VSG maintenance - LOTS of long-term success stories there!  I've been in maintenance only about 2 months, but consider myself a success story also, currently under goal by 10 lbs.  I didn't need to lose 150 lbs, but ended up losing over 100.  I got to "my" goal of 150 in 11 months, but my body decided it wasn't done.

Here's the link to the VSG maintenance group:  

www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/page,1/

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

dec721
on 9/11/11 5:22 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Hi, Judylynn, and welcome!  You have come to the right place to learn everything there is to know about living the sleeved life.  This is a great group of folks, and we love our sleeves!  In my unscientific guesstimation, 99% of us here are successes!  And you have taken the first step in changing your life for the better. 

The main things you can do in the next nine days are:

- make sure your surgeon has given you a detailed and very specific post-op diet plan, and get everything else completely out of your house;

- start NOW getting the junk carbs, sugar, caffeine, and soda out of your life; and

- start drinking water like a fish. 

Just read everything here every day, and you will be ready!  Best wishes on your journey :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

Tiffany B.
on 9/11/11 5:30 am - Scottsburg, IN
I am 6 weeks out and have already los 29lbs. I love my sleeve. There are many people on here who have lost more than 100lbs. Just keep looking.
Most Active
Recent Topics