getting your water intake in!

greatmomof2
on 9/6/11 6:48 am - CA
I need to know how to get my water intake up..i try so hard everyday but i still cant seem to reach the 64 oz daily. I have noticed that i'm still still using the restroom but not that much comes out when i do go. I really dont want to end up dehydrated. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

CoolBeans
on 9/6/11 6:59 am - MD
 My Nut wants us to have 64oz, but says if we go more than a couple of days with less than 48 we should contact her office as that will be a dehydration situation and land us in the ER. Shoot for 64 but make sure you get at least 48. If you are not getting there, you need to find a way to do it or else end up where you do not want to be. 

I carry a camelbak bottle around with me for most of the day. I find it easiest to remember to drink when I am walking and get a lot of my intake then. 
 Cari    
greatmomof2
on 9/6/11 7:10 am - CA
I carry a water bottle but i just cant drink much still. I am 7 wks out and am still sipping on my water. I feel like i have tha****er all day long. Do you think if i just continue that i will be able to tolerate more water intake at  once?
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/11 7:14 am
My hand was permanently fused to my water bottle if I was awake.. those first couple weeks I was paranoid about getting dehydrated. I'll go bump this post, maybe it will help. It's a full time job for a few weeks, but it gets better fast as the swelling goes down.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4436712/How-to-get-in- 64oz-a-day-for-New-ops/#4436712

greatmomof2
on 9/6/11 8:29 am - CA
Thank you for that link very very helpful. I will try the shot glass. i know i can tolerate that every 15 mins. having a full cup just seems like so much and sooo long to drink..lol

Happy966
on 9/6/11 7:38 am

Have you tried things like SF Jello and SF popscicles?  These add a few extra ounces of water without "drinking."  What about the timer trick?  Setting a timer to drink two ounces every 15 minutes?  Are you having problems drinking (pain, spasms) that you need to discuss with your surgeon?  Have you tried differen****er flavors?  This is *so* important! 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

greatmomof2
on 9/6/11 8:32 am - CA
When I drink I just get so full and i know when i drink too much at once because it hurts but goes away quickly..You know when i was on clear liquid diet it was so easy to get my fluid intake to 64 oz or more a day. I love the sf popsicle and jello advice. Thank you!
fypcdqt
on 9/6/11 7:42 am - Cumming, GA
I keep my 10 oz bottle with me everywhere I go and every few seconds I am taking a sip.  I even take one to bed with me and try to sip on it every time I'm awake.  My dogs wake up in the middle of the night, so I'll start sipping on water while I get out of bed to let them out.  I do hope it continues to get better as the swelling goes down - I am only 6 days out so I'm trying to be gentle with myself and my new stomach. 

Amy

greatmomof2
on 9/6/11 8:36 am - CA
Congrats on your surgery. I need to downsize my drinks read the link that JO posted very very helpful to us newbies.. i carry the 16.2 oz bottles and it takes forever to drink. I thought it would be so easy before surgery to drink 64oz and this is one of my greatest feats i need to accomplish.

VickyBT
on 9/6/11 9:44 am - MI
Just curious...WHY do we have to drink so much water and why will we get dehydrated if we don't drink so muchs? Prior to surgery I would have a couple big glasses of ice tea daily and some swigs of water here and there and did't get dehydrated.
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
 Willing is not enough; we must do.? ~Johann von Goethe

VSG Aug. 30, 2011 HW 266 SW 249 GW 166 lbs.