So close and SOOO scared!

dicastro1010
on 9/1/11 8:39 am - Escondido, CA
Here I am only 13 days away from getting my tiny new sleeve, and although I have been waiting so long I am now scared  sh**less. My nerves are all over the place and I keep having these crazy dreams of waking up in massive pain. I've never had surgery before short of a laser eye (PRK) surgery. And I was a total baby about that afterwards.

I don't know why I am being like this. The whole time I was ranting and raving about the insurance process and how long it was taking. Now that it's around the corner I am super nervous and find myself grabbing my favorite candy bars savoring each bite. Burgers too.

I know I am doing all liquid the one week before, and who am I kidding, I should be on it now too. I did so good for a while substituting two meals for shakes and going to the gym, but now that it's so close I am mourning my favorite foods and scared about going under the knife.

I need to snap out of this pronto. Thanks for listening to me whine.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Mrsk2011
on 9/1/11 8:47 am
Dont back out.. i had many fears also and ive had 2 c-sections,a hernia repair,and gall bladder removed but my biggest fear was going under and not waking up, i couldnt imagine my boys not having me but when i woke up i was in so much pain but only kept thinking I MADE IT.. so pray about it and stay strong if its meant to be u will be on the table soon if not mayb its not ur time only u know..I wish u the best of luck either way and i look forward to moving over for u on the bench..

1london
on 9/1/11 8:52 am
Don't be scared!  I know everyone handles surgery differently and you will read various opinions on personal experiences, but the majority of us fare rather well.
I had an easy time with surgery and recovery and have had no complications.
The second day was the hardest, but even that was very tolerable.  I had no problems with drinking anything...even when I began protein shakes, that was fine also.
The drain tube scared me (before surgery) and that turned out to be nothing.  It did not hurt a bit and the removal felt odd, but no pain what so ever.
So think positive and try to hang on to the excitement of the journey you will begin soon.  Walk as much as possible, I believe this helped me tremendously right after surgery...I walked every hour I was awake and it honestly helps your recovery!
Best wishes to you and keep us posted!

joeswife
on 9/1/11 9:07 am - CA
Thanks for your post, I am new to OH and excited and nervous all in one. Having surgery in a month, this has been so beneficial to me finding this site and reading all the messages. Mostly positive and really making me feel that I will finally have the success I have been yearning for for years! I will keep you posted.

Seldern
on 9/1/11 9:12 am - Belmont , NC
I am 4 days post-op and still in quite a bit of pain. I was on a morphine PCA the 3 days in the hospital and it managed everything great. When the took it down yesterday when I was d/c and I was changed to the liquid hydrocondone I was in the worst pain I'd ever had, including birthing 2 children. Today has been much better and I actually showered. Good luck to you it will be tough but totally worth it.
SARAH VSG 8-29-2011

momsy55
on 9/1/11 9:19 am - ME
I was scared too, but tried to focus on all of the positives that would result from the surgery.  I'm 10 days out and and driving, working a couple of hours a day from home, doing light housework, errands, etc.  I know everyone has a different experience, so I can only give you mine.  I was in some pain, but not too bad, when I woke up in recovery.  Said a thank you prayer, as I'd prayed to wake up and see my family.  I only needed 1/2 dose of pain meds the first night, as the gas pains were keeping me from moving around in bed easily - I actually spent much of the night dozing in a chair.  Since I came home, the only problem, other than a case of the poor me's a couple of days ago, that I've had was constipation.  MOM took care of that.  Keep thinking positive thoughts and know that your feelings are notmal.  Good luck!!!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Meme10
on 9/1/11 9:54 am - TX
I was approved for a revision from band to a sleeve. My surgery date is October 5th. My only concern is being sixty. I've had three colon surgeries for diverticulitis, gallbladder and lap band. With the lap band I only needed one toradol shot and liquid Tylenol. To me the laparoscopic surgery is a piece of cake compared to open surgeries. I think we all have different pain tolerances. The key to the lap band is walk, walk, walk . It gets rid of the gas. Follow the doctors instructions and you will do fine.
              HW-307  lapband-243  SW-250  CW-225  GW-150                  

dicastro1010
on 9/1/11 11:12 am - Escondido, CA
I love everyone on here for being so supportive and sharing your experiences. I definitely feel more at piece. I just wish there was a way I could avoid the "pain" part, haha. My threshold is practically non-existent, so it's by far my largest concern.

It really helps to read the responses and get a "real life" idea of what it's going to truly be like. I appreciate knowing that it may be rough for a couple days, but at least I know I will get better and just have to keep the end in mind. Skinny girl jeans, HARD jeans, gee, I remember wearing those and how great that felt to not have "pudge" hanging over. Feeling so athletic and energetic, I definitely have a lot of reasons that can keep me going, but I am such a sucker for being afraid.

Again, thanks so much everyone for the feedback. It truly does help.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

shelliwi
on 9/1/11 1:29 pm - Sheldon, WI
I can understand your fears. I'm having revision surgery on the 20th of September. Less than 3 weeks away. I have a lap band now and will be getting it out to have the sleeve. My biggest fear is not waking up from the surgery. Then I worry about leaks. It is much more common in revision surgeries. My 3rd fear is that I could have problems like I do with the band ie. bad reflux, puking, not being able to eat etc. I always felt that I could remove the band. However, the sleeve is not reversible. I have done a ton of research and have been thinking about this decision for a year. However, the closer it draws near, the more scared I get.
Good luck to you. I still feel that the positive will outweigh the negatives. If I didn't believe this, I would be going through with it.
Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

Most Active