day 1 of pre-op liquid diet questions.

AMGent
on 8/31/11 9:41 am

Today is my first day of liquid pre-op diet, and I am miserable, horrible headache and really nauseous . I’m not sure where they are coming from, I know I am hydrated; I got 96 oz. of water. I know this is all for a good cause and I know I am going to be grateful for this “jumpstart" but I am seriously ….ugh, I just want to go to bed early and wake up on day 2, hopefully feeling better. 2 quick questions for you guys, 1, what is the purpose of the pre-op diet? And 2, why is caffeine forbidden pre/post-op? I get the carbonation but I’m curious about the caffeine. Thanks for any info y’all can offer.  

LOVING life as a LOSER!! 

iLoveMe
on 8/31/11 9:46 am - MO
the purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink the liver which in turn will make your surgery safer!
injeneral
on 8/31/11 9:52 am
Caffeine can dehydrate you and it's also a good idea to cut it out now since post-opers aren't supposed to have it for months following surgery.

You're probably nauseous because you're going through withdrawals and detox. You'll probably feel like a big bag of asses for 3-4 days (or even a week) and then feel better. Good luck - the pre-op diet sucks. But it's only temporary :)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Ulysses
on 8/31/11 12:32 pm
LMFAO at "Big Bag of Asses" 

Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Paige V.
on 8/31/11 10:05 am - Gainesville, FL
I didnt see this and I posted about my first day of preop diet, mine is not all liquid....but pretty skimpy...and I am feeling all you just described. I am thinking mine is lack of caffeine.

I will say that they said on my pre-op orders that I can have diet tea. Did not mention caffeine free.
katier825
on 8/31/11 10:27 am
Each doctor has their own plan.  I was allowed to have coffee a week later, but I only had my one Dunkin Donuts coffee per day.

I thought it got easier after the first few days of liquid diet.  Just keep your eye on the prize!  Immediately after surgery, you probably won't miss the food for a while.
dianna0912
on 8/31/11 10:41 am - TX
What helped me energy/caffeine-wise is B12 drops.  I pretended that in a low carb slimfast was my coffee.  It is a mind thing for me.  Praying it gets better for ya
          HW-327  SW-267  GW-175       VSG-08/25/11

Most Active
Recent Topics