Update

sundaymorning
on 8/25/11 2:10 am
 Last week (I believe Thursday) I posted how I could not swallow fluids or food without severe pain in my esophagus.
I had to go to 4 doctors to finally get some sort of pain relief but it is still very painful to swallow :(

I finally went to urgent care Tuesday and begged them for IV fluids because I was feeling like a zombie (every other doctor said i didn't "look" dehydrated).  I couldn't stop crying and I just felt awful.  The doctor wanted to admit me to the hospital but i was finally getting an endoscopy the next day (yesterday) so I went home instead.

The endoscopy showed that I had multiple ulcers on my esophagus without an obstruction.  I went to the recovery room and the nurse asked if I wanted water.  I told her how it was painful to drink so I really didn't want any.  Then she said, "Well you don't have an obstruction so you shouldn't have any problem drinking or eating."      ummm WTF?! If i have pain i have pain.  so then it made me more paranoid that maybe the doctor missed something.  The only thing the doctor prescribed was prilosec which i've been taking since last Thursday and i've seen NO change in my swallowing or pain level.  I'm just getting worried that I'll never eat or drink again :( might sound stupid but every dream i have is of drinking..soda especially which is funny since i haven't had that since pre-surgery.  

Anyways, they also took a biopsy so i should receive the results of that next week.  I hope i'm better by then :( Not being able to drink is pure torture and I don't know if i can survive another week without a real drink of water.  

Thanks for listening :/
Jan G.
on 8/25/11 3:02 am - WI
Oh dear.. how horrible!! Yes ulcers hurt.. a lot!!!

So what's the treatment? Antibiotics? Something?
And that nurse just sounded..sorry.. stupid!!!

DEMAND more help. Ask how do you get rid of these ulcers safely..geez

Gentle hugs hon..I do feel for you. And keep us posted ok?

Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

sundaymorning
on 8/25/11 3:21 am
 only treatment so far is this "magic mouthwash" which is supposed to numb my esophagus...ha.
and then prilosec to prevent more acid from hitting the ulcers.  A biopsy was done so i won't know more till next week :( Thank you for the advice and hug..i needed it  
Jan G.
on 8/25/11 3:36 am - WI
Again if it were ME, I would DEMAND to have IV fluids until my ulcers healed..no pain.. still getting fluids in..

I cannot see how coating your esophagus with this numbing stuff..heals your ulcers..good try docs.

Oh hon.. come here.. HUGS, Jan

Jan G.
on 8/25/11 3:37 am - WI
P.S.

This IV help could be done via home health nurse too.. not in a hosp.. ASK your doc to order it. Cuz otherwise you WILL be dehydrated and end up IN a hosp...geez.

Warmly, Jan

SassyItalian
on 8/25/11 4:58 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
OK it really sticks in my craw when doctor's have never heard of pain management. Pain medicine (im not talking hardcore drugs im talking a little medicine to take the edge off) was meant for people who are IN PAIN. Some docs are so slow to rx these when they are common and necessary. Arg!!!! They could have given you something for pain.

And if its painful to drink and you hadnt had alot to drink in several days they should have taken the 30 seconds to hang a freaking bag or 2 of fluids. Its not a big deal.  Sounds like you are surrounded by a bunch of lazy medical professionals who dont feel like doing their jobs properly.

Just sayin..

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo