How long should food stay in your sleeve?

kaydemo
on 8/22/11 2:18 pm - TX
I ate some salmon at around 1:30 this afternoon and I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since. I've been belching a ton, but I still feel full. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go purge just to make myself feel better! Any thoughts?
USAF Wife
on 8/22/11 2:31 pm
It depends on how far out you are from surgery. Purging is never recommended, at least not from my surgeon.

I would say that if you are having pain, discomfort, and walking, warm fluids are not helping, seek medical attention ASAP
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

kaydemo
on 8/22/11 2:38 pm - TX
I'm 22 days out.  Just started soft foods yesterday.  Fish was on the list and I had it yesterday for lunch, last night for dinner and again at lunch.  I ate probably two ounces, maybe three and I didn't eat anything else with it. In fact, other than my protein shake this morning, I haven't had anything! I don't feel sick, really, but just really full and uncomfortable.  And every time I burp, it still smells like fish!  Drinking makes me feel uncomfortable, so I've opted to not to have anything to drink or eat.  If I feel this way in the AM, I'm definitely going to call the surgeon. Thanks for your reply!  Anymore input would be appreciated!

USAF Wife
on 8/22/11 2:46 pm
I'm not saying this to be negative, and I know every surgeon's/nut's plans are different, but I'm still amazed that they have you eating solid food 22 days post-op. I'm amazed at all the quick progression of plans that we are seeing these days compared to 18-24 months ago.

I could barely eat more  2 ounces of meats at 2 months out much less 22 days out. I would venture to guess your sleeve is severely irritated, and it's just too much, too soon, and now you've got some residual swelling that is causing the discomfort and slow transit time.

Walking will help with moving things around in there. I hope you feel better.

kaydemo
on 8/22/11 2:58 pm - TX
Thanks for the input!  I had 20 days of anything that would fit through a strainer, like broth, my protein shakes, popsicles, milk, etc, but now I'm allowed anything soft, like fish, yogurt, cheese and even lunchmeat, just no raw vegatables.  Maybe I'll stick with liquids for a bit longer!  I had no issues with it yesterday, so I'm kind of sad that I feel so crappy with it today!  Plus, I do think I'm a little dehydrated because I didn't meet my fluid intake target yesterday, and def didn't today!  I just need my belly to empty out!!  Thanks for the well wishes!  Tomorrow is a new day!  I'm hoping for the best!  I'm hoping to be able to sleep soon, but for now, laying down doesn't seem like it'll do anything but make me feel worse!
USAF Wife
on 8/22/11 3:01 pm
It's kind of weird with food for about the first 3-4 months for some of us. I found that even after my 12, and 18 month mark, certain foods react differently sometimes. It's just weird. Of course, in pregnancy, everything changes everything. So, I blame my food issues on the pregnancy more than anything these days.

Hope you can get some relief soon.

intothehaze
on 8/22/11 11:00 pm
 It is amazing. I was just sleeved last week, but nothing like meat for me until like 6 to 8 weeks out. 

VGS Date: 8/15/11    
Age: 34 | Ht: 5' 11" | HW: 380 | Pre-op: 363 | SW: 300 | CW: 199.3 | GW: 190 
smkeller
on 8/22/11 2:33 pm
If you are belching, then I don't think that your sleeve could be too blocked. Can you swallow your own saliva?
kaydemo
on 8/22/11 2:42 pm - TX
I can.  I think I'm slightly dehydrated, so I think my saliva is a little foamy.  Do you think the salmon was just too dense?  I had zero problems with it yesterday, but today is different story! 
smkeller
on 8/22/11 10:13 pm, edited 8/22/11 10:15 pm
I have heard that salmon is indeed very dense. I haven't had any yet. I have had a little tilapia with no problems. It could be how it sticks to the innards too, that determines how much of a problem it is. I am about 22 days out too.
Most Active