Woodrow Wilson Bridge NSV (long with pics)

GAFROMVA
on 8/13/11 2:35 am, edited 8/13/11 2:40 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
Work has been pretty hectic and stressful the last two week. I’m in the middle of QA cycle and keep finding bugs and minor issues that forces me to push our software release date, so I’m working extra long hours in the office, trying to make the date. Since having the sleeve, I no longer drown my stress in booze and food. Now I hit the gym, go for a swim or go for a walk. There is a walking trail that goes from Old Town Alexandria in Virginia to Maryland. I’ve always wanted to walk across the bridge once I heard about the trail; but when I was 500+ pounds I could barely walk a block. It was nearing the end of my work day and I wanted to do happy hour, but decided to go for a walk around Old Town instead. I started walking and got to the corner and deiced I was going to walk to the bridge instead of just doing laps around my building. It’s about a mile from my office to the trail.
(pic below is the entrance to the trail )

I remember someone telling me the trail was only half a mile. Well they lied to me, that sucker was at least 2 miles across. So I’m walking along at a good pace, waving to all the other sweaty folks,and when I got to the Maryland side I’m so happy. I stop check out the view. My legs don’t hurt, shoulders are bit sore, my lower back is starting to ache.. but my feet feel great.. (thank you brooks beast running shoe... best 140 pair of shoes ever)  

I realize well damn. I made it but damn now I have to walk my ass all the way back. I felt my pace slowed down a lot on the way back to the office, I stopped a few times to rest. I made it back to my building and ran into a lady who works in the building who I haven’t seen in a few months she was amazed at how I looked. She was like your face used to be so chubby. I told her what I just accomplished and she said you aren’t even winded. She was right, I wasn’t breathing heavy I wasn’t exhausted. I was just tired from a great workout. The high from this workout was better than any other high. I realize three things during this walk.

1)  I just walked over 5 miles in about an hour and 45 mins. I usually do about 4 miles a day, but  doing that with about 3 hours rest between each mile. I’ve never done it without stopping and all at one time.
2)  20 ounce water bottle is not enough water, I am going to buy one of those water backpacks.
(camelbak mule)

3) An extra pair of gym shorts.. I walked all that wearing my black work jeans
(accidental picture but it’s my proof)

Thanks for reading my long post, but I wanted to share this with my OH family..
the was VSG best decision ever

Since you made it to the end.. I thought I share a comic that keeps me laughing.
Glen
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. 

HW: 565, Surgery Day: 486 CW: 319
kimbethin
on 8/13/11 2:50 am - CA
What a great trail!  Good for you!   I love that it was rewarded with a sweet compliment!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
GAFROMVA
on 8/13/11 11:59 pm - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 thank you.. there are a lot great trails here in VA and I plan on giving them all a try
Glen

Crimson
on 8/13/11 3:02 am - MD
Congrats!!
I live in Maryland and I've walked that bridge before, and it's quite a hike!!

I recently purchased a Camelbak Mule N.V., you'll love it!! It's the best and I wear it while walking, hiking and biking. Can hold a great deal of things.

congrats again!

HW: 271 lbs.     SW: 255 lbs.     GW: 150 lbs.    
GAFROMVA
on 8/14/11 12:04 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 Thanks you, I plan to walk the bridge twice a week now.. I picked up a Camelbak Mule yesterday.. and plan to put it to great use. 
Glen

BigJohn78
on 8/13/11 3:09 am - Spring, TX
VSG on 10/01/10 with
GREAT job my friend!! I am SUPER happy and proud for you, this just reaffirms that you made the right choices in your life and you're starting to reap the benefits!!

Congratulations again
John

HW:340lbs.  SW:310lbs.  GW:220lbs.  CW:190lbs.  WL:150lbs.
                        Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                     http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

***WWAD***

GAFROMVA
on 8/14/11 12:06 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 Thank you for the support
Glen

acbbrown
on 8/13/11 4:54 am - Granada Hills, CA
Congrats! So much better for you than happy hour :) (at least your health anyways)

Keep up the great work! Inspiring :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

GAFROMVA
on 8/14/11 12:13 am - Alexandria, VA
VSG on 12/08/10 with
 thank you.... you are doing great yourself. 
Glen

Ulysses
on 8/13/11 5:08 am
Awesome! I know I could not have done that walk (especially in work pants).
Congrats on your progress
Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Most Active
Recent Topics