Major NSV, I think - Like Peeling an Onion

Rouxful
on 8/9/11 12:16 pm
I've been looking in the mirror lately and I'm realizing that I'm still wearing my pre-op clothing. They hang off me like a circus tent and it's hard for me to visualize how much weight I've lost myself, much less even keep my pants up. So I went to the store today and got some shorts and shirts on clearance. I didn't want to buy anything nice because I still have a lot more weight to lose. But, for the first time in nearly a decade, I'm wearing a 2X. Before I started this weight loss journey in January, I was pushing a 5XL in some of my clothes. 

I just thought I'd give this shout out to all the guys out there, since it's always really hard for me to visualize weightloss and clothing size for the gals, since I have no idea what the difference between a size 8 and a size 12 is. Today I've officially lost 80lbs since the beginning of the year, I just hope it keeps on coming off.

BTW, for all you who don't know NSV stands for "NON-SCALE VICTORY." It basically means one has reaced a personal milestone that they feel significantly showcases that they've lost a significant amount of weight, such as fitting in an airline seat, crossing one's legs, touching your toes (which I could do even when I was at my high of 403, much to everyone's amazement), etc. It took me forever to find out what NSV meant when I first signed up here.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

MotivatedMomma
on 8/9/11 12:33 pm
DS on 10/20/14
 Congrats on your success so far!  That's an amazing amount of progress!  Keep up the good work.

Jean B.
on 8/9/11 12:43 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I'm of the mind that whenever I feel gross or unhappy on the inside, I drag out all my makeup and my fancy clothes and I dress up nicely on the outside. It totally changes my attitude. So I wholeheartedly support the dude version of this! I'm glad getting some new clothes perked you right up and helped you realize exactly how far you've come so far. Congrats!
Ulysses
on 8/9/11 1:02 pm
I hear you Rouxful,
I am down almost a hundred and I am still wearing some 6X sails/tents. I kept a lot of my clothes from my slimmer days - I just need to go through them.
Big and Tall joints are really exspensive, so I am just going to forage through my old stuff. Hopefully those size 36 501 button fly jeans I have had since the late 80's will be in my future.

Congrats on your success so far and good luck in future
Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Rouxful
on 8/9/11 1:27 pm
 I bought four pairs of 2X cargo shorts at Walmart yesterday for $5 each on clearance, and a few nice polos and a bunch of tees. I'm pretty stoked and a lot less embarrassed when I go out these days.

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

kimbethin
on 8/9/11 2:45 pm - CA

Good for you!  You really can feel better in better fitting clothes.  What really feels good is this:  Bring several trash bags into your bedroom when you have some free time.  Go through your closet and dresser and put every item that is too bag in them.  That's how you see the progress you've made. Next go to the garage or basement and dig into your stash of too smalls to see what fits again.  We girls get excited to find old favorites that we can wear a few more times on the way to goal.  It's really fun to closet shop- and its free!  I sort the discarded items in to trash and donate piles, and give the items in good shape to charity.

putting one foot in front of the other...        
wert
on 8/9/11 2:54 pm - MN
Whether you're a man or woman it's important to feel good in what you wear. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy to feel good in your clothes. Remember, too, to buy underwear that fits. Don't laugh! It helps the outer garments look better. One more thing - don't buy too much. You'll grow out of them faster than you realize. It's great you're getting some good deals.

Congratulations on a very important NSV. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics