BAD BREATH!!! HELP

greatmomof2
on 8/6/11 4:16 am - CA
I am three weeks post operative. As of this past week my breath just reeks.My husband doesn't even want to talk to me. Does anyone have this problem? Another problem I'm having...I have been on clear liquid diets for these three weeks and now I am only losing a half lb a day if I'm lucky because somedays I don't lose anything...Is that normal for a person my size? I started at 219.5 and now I'm 202.5.
H_kd27
on 8/6/11 4:33 am - DC
VSG on 07/25/11 with
About the AWFUL breath, I can relate - - I believe it is directly related to the dietary restrictions and the lack of chewing!! As for the weight loss, I can't say, I had surgery on 7.25.11, weighing in @ 217 - - I havent weighed since then - - first weigh-in on Tuesday 8.09.11 - - for my breath, I usually try to make sure my mouth stays moist and I make suck, not chew a half stick of sugarless gum!!

evilelf
on 8/6/11 4:33 am
Yes, I also had yuck mouth breath when I was only doing liquids... invest in mints and this will past once you start eating again.

H.W 270 S.W 252 C.W 195 G.W 170

PaulaS
on 8/6/11 4:37 am - TX
It could be the protein shakes if you are drinking them.   My hubby HATED it when I was drinking them - said it was bad.   LOL, I told him he ought to "see" it from my side - I had to drink them!     We just were talking about the shakes and bad breath.
I cannot chew gum, Dr's orders, and really missed that after a shake.    I did get some sugar-freel mints which helped some. 
Also, if you are in keotosis your breath will be less than stellar, too!  
Don't forget, this, too, will pass!   When you are eating regular foods and able to keep your protein up without the shakes, it will all be better.    

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
angela07
on 8/6/11 5:22 am
Bed breathe is common. Ugh, I hated to even talk to anyone because i was scared they would be able to smell it. It will pass eventually. Try mints.

Jackie00
on 8/6/11 5:41 am
When your body goes into a state of Ketosis, no carbs, it is very common to have bad breath.  Google Ketosis and it will tell you.
Punkinchan
on 8/6/11 7:12 am
I've been having the same problems and I think it's because of all the protein I've been drinking.  What's been working for me is brushing my tongue when I brush me teeth.  I swear the protein has been collecting on my tongue throughout the day and when I brush during the day (I brush probably 3x's a day) and spit out what's been collecting on my tongue, it's pretty gross.  Not only does my tongue feel cleaner, but my breath is much better afterwards too. 

StepN2ANewLife
on 8/6/11 9:10 am - AR
 Yeah, I think that BAD breath is just a part of the process! I had it for about a month and a half...it was horrid. Like someone else said, I almost didn't want to talk to anyone! I tried chewing gum and it TORE my stomach up!! I could not CHEW gum and I haven't since trying that time! I now eat mints daily. I haven't had the bad breath for a while now. So, as aforementioned, try MINTS!!!  

*Never Let a Dark Past, Cloud a Bright Future*

http://free2bme4eternity.blogspot.com/
Subscribe to my YOUTUBE channel: XxFemTationxX
dmich
on 8/7/11 5:50 am
I have not had my surgery yet but why dont they let you chew gum? Why does that tear your stomache up? I work with the public so I am pretty worried about the bad breath issue. I was on a low carb diet before and used a breath spray but it tasted terrible.
greatmomof2
on 8/10/11 12:05 pm - CA
sorry so long to reply back,but THANK YOU evrybody for your awesome advice..i thought i was alone in this process. I have tried the mints. The bad breath still comes back after awhile but it helps..i think its my shake...i hate drinking it but it's 30 grams of protein. thank you again

Most Active
Recent Topics