So, how did you tell people or didn't tell people?

AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 7/31/11 4:42 am
I am less than 2 weeks from surgery.  I am off for the summer.  When I go back, I'm hoping it will be obvious that I have lost weight.  To most people, I am saying I am having my gall bladder out - which I am.  Close family and some friends know what I am having a VSG.  I would rather go on with my life when I return to work without people asking me or bugging me.  I'm sure at some point I won't care if they know but I am missing about a week and half of work.  How did it go for you telling people or if you didn't tell people, how did you get out of their intrusive questions?
Tipsynoodle
on 7/31/11 4:57 am, edited 7/31/11 4:57 am - Kempner, TX
 I myself have no problem telling people.....im proud of it and i havent had the surgery yet either lol...but i figure I may be able to help the next person by telling them about the different options available....if they ask......i lost an aunt , she died at age 41, weighing half a ton.........so yes im telling lol....i dont care about peoples negative remarks or comments, i did what was best for me......

neneats
on 7/31/11 10:23 am - MD
yep and i myself have no problem telling people either my mother is close to 500 lbs and i see her suffer everyday with her weught and I didnt want to end up that way either and its easier to try and educate people then for them to presume to think what they want soooooo yes education is important
Christine928
on 7/31/11 5:02 am
I tell everyone. I'm proud I had the surgery. I feel and look good... Don't be ashamed of what you are having done. Your doing this for a reason stick with it and stand tall.

cabcab
on 7/31/11 5:03 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Before my surgery I only told a few people.  I had the fear that I would be the ONE person that this didn't work for, so I was scared to tell people in case I failed.  I'm also a believer in jinx and figured that if I did tell a lot of people that it would cause me to fail.  LOL.

After my surgery, when I started to see results and knew it was working I told more people.  Now when anyone asks how I've been losing weight I tell them I had surgery.  No one I've told has ever had a negative reaction.  They're all very happy for me and proud that I'm doing well.  I've heard others on here though who've had different experiences when telling some people.

Some people are more open, some people aren't.  You'll figure out what works for you.

Best wishes on a smooth surgery and recovery!
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Could_It_Be
on 7/31/11 5:03 am, edited 7/31/11 5:03 am
For me, I don't have any shame that I needed surgery and don't want to lie (either by omission or outright). Again FOR ME, I think it's demeaning to my many failed efforts to lose the weight to claim I've lost all this by 'eating high protein, smaller meals and exercising'. Sheesh! If I could have lost it that way, don't ya think I would have??

So when they ask, I tell them about the surgery. Some people get more info than others but I tell the truth.

It's funny, I've not had one bad comment (to my face- who knows what people say away from me). Everyone has been very encouraging and I know of 2 people who I told about the sleeve who have now set up consult appts with my surgeon.

I thnk if more of us talked about it and were open, there wouldn't be such a 'stigma' surrounding WLS.

VSG on 6/22/11
(deactivated member)
on 7/31/11 5:18 am
I do feel similarly to you, not to down anyone else that is more private- just agreeing with you on that and the comments and having the idea spark in others.. it's a nice feeling knowing that you may have encouraged another to take that step!
Nonie0123
on 7/31/11 5:04 am, edited 7/31/11 5:08 am - MT
Other than medical personnel, I have told six people and have trusted them to keep it quiet. It's killing my mother to not tell people, as she lives in a small town (<250) and is the town gossip. My supervisor has been extremely supportive and checks on me to make sure I'm doing okay and I really appreciate his support. The other four have been pretty good. I know that I will eventually share that I've had surgery, however, I'm skill getting used to the new me and the lifestyle changes that I am making.
5' 11", HW 287, SW 270, GW 170                    
sleeverinKC
on 7/31/11 5:05 am
I had my sugary amour 2 1/2 weeks ago, I didn't tell most people, only my closest friends that I knew wouldn't judge. I get several questions at lunch, which I knew was going to happen, but I did this for me, my son, and my husband.... But most of all me. I didn't feel it was anyone else's business. That was just me though, everyone is different with their choice.
My Journey to a HEALTHY Mom, Wife, Sister, Daughter, and Friend!!   

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/31/11 5:05 am
I am not telling anyone.  Those that know I had surgery think I just had a hiatal hernia repair.  They've already noticed weight loss and I explain that I'm taking my health more serious now.  Cut out caffiene, diet soda, most carbs, eating more but smaller meals during the day.  For now, it's working.  We'll see if more questions come as I lose more.

I didn't tell everyone when I went on blood pressure meds, nor did I tell them when I have pap smears or a mammogram, so I apply the same logic here.  It's my business and others simply don't need to know the details.

I'm a private person anyway.  And I also don't need anyone else's ideas about what I should or shouldn't be doing, whether it's VSG or female issues or blood pressure.

Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Most Active
Recent Topics