Picking your goal weight

Valerie K.
on 7/30/11 6:13 am - Dearborn, MI
 I was searching trying to find who has picked there goal weight and found all kinds of RNY people but not VSG people. 

So how did you pick your goal weight? did you do it or did your doc?

Mine picked it in May for me. I told him 160 he told me no you can get smaller. He than said 130 I told him he was crazy I am 5 ft 6in tall i picked 150 he said no again than said tell ya what 145 I though what the heck ok. Dam him he got what he wanted out of me any ways lol. I am trying for 145 but stuck at 170 to 173 each day it changes. 

So what is your goal weight please and how tall are you??? 
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

colelea613
on 7/30/11 6:48 am - LA
I am 5'11" and I am thinking around 170-180.  I am more concerned with size.  I would like to be a solid 12/14.  My doctor never mentioned a goal weight.  Maybe I should ask at post-op. My sugery is Tuesday.

I have a friend that is also 5'11" and with the lap-band she is down to 143.  She doesn't like being at that weight she much perfers 155-160. 

My sister is 5'6" and with the lap-band she is down to 145 and wants to be 130,  She is a size 10 and some 8s.

Really I think it is where you are comforable....I will be excited to be at 185 the weight I was as a senior in high school. 

Cole

Ulysses
on 7/30/11 6:50 am
My surgeon never gave or asked me for a goal weight. What my PCP told me was to ignore the "ideal weight" standards - especially considering my body stats.
I am a guy with a very large frame, 6'3 and wear size 15-16 shoes - according to the ideal weight standard I should weigh between 152 and 192.
I think that is ridiculous!
My high school weight (football, wrestling etc) was about 215 pounds. I wore a size 32 levi button fly jeans (this was the late 80s;) and actually had ab muscles. Even at this weight/BMI 27 I would be officially overweight and just 3 BMI short of obese.
That is some Bull**** right there!

I set my own goal weight at 220 - if I happen to go lower or max out at 230-240 so be it. I still look good at 230-250 due to my body type. Also, my damn clown feet (I hate clowns) probably weigh in at 15lbs each. ;) Ignore the charts and go with what feels (or used to feel good) to you. The person who configured those ideal weight standards must have had a tapeworm.

Best of luck and congrats on your success so far -
Jason
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Valerie K.
on 7/30/11 7:38 am - Dearborn, MI
 Yes I think your right that person had to have a tapeworm lol. I will be happy at 160. I am happy now with my size and keep thinking it is just a number on the scale not how I feel. i was just wondering what others though thanks for your replies.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

theshrinkingmimi
on 7/30/11 12:18 pm
Oh Lord. Those Levi 501 jeans!
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
wert
on 7/30/11 6:51 am - MN
My doc won't ever set a goal weight. He says I'll stop when I hit my baseline, whatever that is. So I ignored him and picked my own. I chose something in the mid range of normal BMI for my height. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Sassy 1
on 7/30/11 8:04 am
I got down to 172 with my lap band before it slipped and felt gorgeous (down from 292) and wearing a size 12.  My sleeve doc wants me to push for 150 as he has tracked his "loser" patients and almost all have gained 10 pounds back after reaching their original goal, which would leave me at 160.  I weighed 140 in high school, but I really don't think I will naturally settle there.  I'm 5'7", wear size 10 shoes and C bra.  I'll stop when I feel healthy and trim!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Dawnie 88
on 7/30/11 8:05 am
my surgeon never gave me a goal weight.  I remember telling him at one appt that my goal is to get to 170 or 180..and he just nodded and said that was doable.  I'm looking at it more from a size of jean..rather than numbers on the scale.  I want to get to a size 12.

katier825
on 7/30/11 8:52 am
When asked, I just picked a number (140 - I'm 5'2").  I had no idea what to pick, I've been overweight all my life.  I did have one brief spell in high school when I was about 120.  I don't expect to ever see that again, and really don't want to.  I'd probably look sick!  Most days, I am 135 now.  I'm happy here, it's a normal BMI for me.  I think it's something that everyone needs to decide when they get there.

I am truly surprised that I not only got to my goal, but am 5 lbs under...thrilled, but surprised!  My weight has leveled off, but I continue to lose inches.  Nice perk!
Suane
on 7/30/11 9:42 am - Livingston County, MI
My doc told me to look at the normal to slightly above normal BMI for my 5'2" height. So that puts me somewhere around 135 which is what I picked for my goal. I weighed that many diets ago and looked very sickly and I was 20 years younger then. If I have enough muscle to justify a goal of 142, then that's where I'll land. I'm 56 years old and still want to look good in my clothes as well as being healthy. Go with the goal that fits you, not your doc.  He'll get over it.

Always the best wishes, Sue 

HW: 261   SW: 248.5   CW: 154  GW: 135     5' 2"

Most Active
Recent Topics