Eating less - saving money?

M1CHELLE
on 7/29/11 3:39 am - Kelowna, Canada
I haven't had my surgery yet, but one thing I've wondered about is once you are recovered and are back to eating regular foods, since you are eating way less, do you notice that you're saving $$ on your grocery bill?
Michelle  
HW: 282.5   SW: 263.5   CW: 235

PaulaS
on 7/29/11 3:45 am - TX
I definately notice a drop in the grocery bill!    Especially after getting off the protein drinks!
And, eating out is very inexpensive now!   Don't go out nearly as often for one, and the other, I usually eat off hubby's plate or order a childs plate or just one taco or whatever.    Much less expensive!!!  Yahoo!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Kristy R.
on 7/29/11 3:48 am - Santa Clara, CA
Not really. It actually cost me more now if you factor in shakes and vitamins.  My husband and son pretty much eat as they always have.
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

sublimate
on 7/29/11 3:50 am - San Jose, CA
I eat the same as I did pre-op.. meat and veggies.. except WAY less now.  I've always taken supplements.  My grocery bills are WAY less.  Love it!

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift

Marcia B.
on 7/29/11 4:00 am - CA
We have a lot more of leftovers now :) which helps stretch the food budget because I don't eat much and neither does my son.  My husband eats regular amounts but he has so much more leftovers instead of making a new dinner every night.  Also we don't eat out nearly as often.  We have gone out to eat 3 times in a month and we use to go out 3-4 times a week.  Definitely saving us money.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

julyxo84
on 7/29/11 4:04 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
Actually I'm probably spending more than I did before. Because healthy food costs more than junk food, lol.
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

NDew1104
on 7/29/11 4:14 am
Im with July.  My bills are more expensive.  I am married, and my husband is eating healthier with me.  Hes lost about 20 pounds himself!  :)  But it does cost us more to buy the more healthy stuff.
theshrinkingmimi
on 7/29/11 5:47 am
I am saving so much money. I take vitamins like everyone else. I use Unjury unflavored protein with crystal light to make one drink per day. And I am still saving.  I had to double check to make sure that I had paid all of my bills because there is more money in the bank. This is especially good since I am self-pay. I will use some of the extra savings to pay off debt quicker.  Keep in mind, I was probably spending 120-200 per week eating out. It is probably less than 25 now. My grocery bill is almost cut in half because it takes so long to finish anything- for instance, it takes 12 days for me to eat one dozen eggs. I eat a pound of extra lean ground beef in 2 ounce increments- that's 8 meals instead of 3 meals.  I love it!!!!
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
emelar
on 7/29/11 6:21 am - TX
Today, 9 months out, the answer is yes, I'm saving money.  Early out - not so much....because I couldn't get it through my thick skull that I didn't need the QUANTITIES that I needed pre-op.  And I prefer not to eat defrosted food, so I try to buy just what I need for the week.

So, now that my brain has finally figured THAT out, I'm spending less at the grocery.

I was also a eat-out-for-lunch-every-day kind of person.  That's been cut down to once a week and infrequent dinners out as well.  Unbelievable how much money I'm saving on restaurants and fast food.
Ulysses
on 7/29/11 7:18 am
I definitely am saving money, I live alone so I just buy for myself.
Before VSG I would spend around 80.00 a week at the grocery store, 40.00/week at work for lunches/take out/machine junk, and drive throughs a few times per week.
Probably around 120.00 a week at least - thats 480.00 a month in food!!!

I now spend FAR LESS...1/2 gallon of milk a week, I bought 5 lb tubs of my protein at TS Supplements. and when at the store I buy nice cuts of meat then cut out 3oz portions to freeze. All told maybe 100.00 a month total including my vitamins.

Oh yeah - I don't drink coffee, but was a diet soda freak. I also used to buy a 3.00 Rockstar energy drink (24oz) to start my day, then diet soda untill bed. I have cut all that out, saving at leat 100.00 a month (that habit was exspensive!).

Just another benefit of the sleeve...Extra cash!

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Most Active
Recent Topics