Nervous!

Chelsea M.
on 7/28/11 12:13 pm
Hi sleevers!

I've been on OH for a little while but I've never posted on the VSG forums. I am scheduled for the vertical sleeve this Wednesday! I have been getting kind of nervous, not necessarily about the surgery itself. I'm mostly scared that it won't work! I know that this is the best option for me and my doctor agrees but I think that since I've never been able to lose weight before, I feel like I still won't. Can anyone share some of their weight loss successes with me so I can have some encouragement? I'd appreciate it so much! Maybe hearing about how much weight to expect to lose during different stages would help me feel better too... just so I don't freak out if I'm not losing drastic amounts of weight really rapidly if it doesn't normally happen that way. And any advice for when I begin to stall? Thank you so much!!
If life seems absurd, what you need is some laughter!
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
drporter
on 7/28/11 12:24 pm
Hi Chelsea!  I know exactly how you're feeling, as I too felt the same way prior to my surgery.  I'm one week and 2 days post op (just had the sleeve on 7/19) and while I don't know about the amount of weight loss @ different stages, I can tell you that YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT :-).  You can't help but to lose weight once over 70% of your stomach is cut and you can only digest liquids for about a month and eat very, very small portions.  On the day of surgery I weighed in @ 208lbs and I weighed myself today and I'm @ 192 after a little over a week.  I know everybody's weight loss is different, but I can tell you that you are going to lose weight!  Your stomach is definitely going to make you alter your eating habits so once that's done....you'll start to drop pounds.  Hang in there........you're going to do just fine.
Chelsea M.
on 7/28/11 12:32 pm
Awww thank you! That really made me feel better! I just have to focus and remember that I am pretty much going to be forced to lose weight at first. My job is to make the right decisions to keep it off! I just know I will be discouraged if I don't lose a lot of weight at first so I will have to be really patient if it's not as rapid as I imagine! Ugh I'm such an impatient and critical person so that will be tough! Hahaha! Thanks again! And Good luck to you with your weight loss! Congrats on your 16 lbs so far! So exciting!!! :)
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
LeahBea
on 7/28/11 1:40 pm
VSG on 05/31/11 with
Hey Chealsea! You'll be just fine. You know yourself best so keep yourself accountable and follow your plan. Work your sleeve and it'll work for you.

Can't wait to welcome you to the losers bench! You'll do great!

Leah

Chelsea M.
on 7/28/11 8:57 pm
Thanks Leah! Congrats on your weight loss, girl! You're doing great!!
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
Shershe793
on 7/28/11 7:38 pm - Blanchard, OK
I am having my surgery on Aug 2nd the day before you.. I am nervous and excited.. more excited though.. I cant wait to start losing and to work my sleeve.. I have tried before and lost weight but then it would always creep back on after time.. I liked how I felt when I had lost down to 175.. but I havent been there since 1996... PCOS has helped to keep the weight on and then some..  I know I can lose weight but it has been such a struggle for me since I found out about the PCOS.., I kept telling my doctor how I can diet and watch what I eat.. but the scale wasnt moving.. So i finally decided on WLS.. and I am very happy that I have decided this.. because this is going to work with me to help me get the weight off and keep it off.. I have set my mind to work this sleeve so I can be healthier and feel better.. I have also seen my friend losing the weight since March when she had her sleeve done.. and she has PCOS as well and I know if she can do it then I can do it also.. She is going to be my biggest support after surgery and I sooooo look forward to it.. Stay positive and know this TOOL will work for you as well. 
 HW 327 CW 231 GW 140 Surgery August 2nd, 2011..                     
Chelsea M.
on 7/28/11 8:59 pm
Yayy! We are having our surgery practically at the same time! Thank you for your encouragement! I also have PCOS and I'm really glad to hear about your friend who had the sleeve and PCOS and is losing weight. I forgot to mention PCOS but that is another concern of mine as to why I think I will have trouble losing weight! So thank you so much! We will soon be on the loser's bench together!
                                                                       --Bright Eyes
Cristina S.
on 7/29/11 2:13 am - New Britain, CT
Thank you for posting this question. I have surgery on the 2nd and I'm getting worried about failure. Maybe this just means we are realistic and realize this is a tool not a magic cure and hopefully we can keep ourselves accountable and lose a lot of weight

Chelsea M.
on 7/29/11 11:09 am
Yes, that is so true! Hopefully you are right! Good luck with your surgery and weight loss! You'll do great :)
                                                                       --Bright Eyes