1Week Post Op and Struggling!!!

LookingAhead2011
on 7/18/11 1:59 pm - TX
Hi, All. I had my surgery a week ago today and am still having an extremely difficult time getting in my fluids. Each time I swallow there's a pain on my left side. It only lasts until the liquid reaches it's destination. I've tried sipping very, very, very small sips, warm liquids, cold liquids, soups, etc, and still get the same result.

Met with my surgeons office today and the PA said that it may be gas. Been using Gas X but no help.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers  
(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 2:14 pm
Hi, we had our surgery the same day.  Actually I had to stay an extra day because I couldn't take in enough of the liquids.

I find that my bites have to be, not really bites.  Like jus***** bitty sips, I can get 2 to 3 in, then I have to stop.  One of my papers said I could do this every 10 to 15 minutes to try and meet the minimum liquid intake.

I find that after a total of 4-5 sips I have to stop for awhile. I get a pain too, I can actually feel the liquid go down into my stomach sometimes.  When I feel that I sit up straight and wait for it to pass.  I then stop taking anymore liquids, even if it was one sip.

I just keep water and my protien drink or something similar by me.  Sometimes I can get a bit in over a half hour period, sometimes I can't tolerate anything for over an hour. I try to listen to my body as much as I can.

Today was a milestone, I got down one full protien shake in about a 2 hour period.  It was just one scoop in about 4 oz of water, so you can see I'm struggling too.  I definitely feel gas pains as soon as my stomach is full.  That's another signal to stop.

Are you walking? I find that if I get up and walk I feel better.  I've been trying to go around the block 3 times a day or more, today my knees yelled at me again so I took a break.

Good luck, seems we'll probably run into similar things along the way!
Erica77
on 7/18/11 5:17 pm - MN
Have you tried a hot tea, or warm liquids? I couldn't handle cold liquids for the first couple weeks.
HW- 398  SW- 371 CW- 224 GW- 175      5'11     27lbs lost preop

bc32084
on 7/18/11 8:50 pm - VA
i experienced some very bad gas/acid reflux in the beginning and I actually had to take prilosec OTC.  However, with your diificulty swallowing liquids I am not sure if they can help.  I also walked and slept at an angle, if that helps...

In_It_To_Lose_It
on 7/18/11 10:24 pm - MI
Had my surgery almost a week ago and have had some of the same issues.  In the hospital I had pain in the middle of my chest when I swallowed fluids as well as the gurgly fizzy feeling coming up my chest into my throat.  They had me take prilosec for the acid (fizzies), as well as another med for what the PA said was my stomach spasming.  Also had the gas drops as I would get air bubbles trapped and could feel them come up and end in a burp.  So had a few things going on that needed resolving.  Was also given a shot to decrease the swelling of my stomach and a pill that would help with any nausea I felt. 
They kept me an extra day at the hospital just to make sure my issues were cleared up and that I could get my fluids in, as it was a real struggle to get in just small sips.
So tomorrow it'll be one week out.  I still take the prilosec once a day - occasionally I will feel the pain in my chest if I swallow too much at a time or two sips too close together.  I just wait til it passes. I haven't needed the spasm medicine, or the nausea medicine since the hospital.  Today it's been even less.  I'm finally getting in a decent amount of water and protein, hurray.
Keep informing your doctor of your progress, so they can eliminate any other issues that could be causing your discomfort.  Stay on it til it gets resolved, or you see some progress!!
Good luck!

nursevicky217
on 7/18/11 11:05 pm - Cheektowaga, NY
These conversations are very helpful to me since im on the beginning the road to surgery. I will pray for all of you. all this is so helpful to know that this is quite normal for post op
thallnicholas
on 7/19/11 12:29 am
 Hi, I am also 1 week post-op :)
I am getting about 24 ozs. of water in a day by carrying a "room" temp. water bottle with me at all times.  Although it is warm outside, the colder water gave me the same sensation you are feeling.  I sip water about every 10 minutes except 30 mins. before eating and about 1 hr. after eating.  I am also really consciously walking for about 10 mins. on the hour which has really helped reduce that "side" pain---my Dr. said it was gas, too.  So far, it seems to be working.  Hang in there and good luck!
VSG- 7/12/11  HW-252 SW-225  CW-186

SaminCT
on 7/19/11 12:48 am
I'm a week out too and I'm having the same issues, too. I have found warmer liquids are better. I make my protein with decafe coffee and skim milk in the morning and it takes me about an hour to drink the cup, but it goes down easier. Cold drinks are the worst for me. I keep my Crystal Light at room temp. However, I have found that sugar free popsicles and freeze pops are easier. I think because I'm just licking and tiny amounts of fluid are going in. I'm getting about 3 popsicles in a day as part of my fluids. Give it a try.

I talked to my nurse yestserday, who actually had the sleeve in January, and she said it will be tough but there will be one day when I will find things will just start to go down easier. It's like things open up. I can't wait for that day.

Hang in there, you're not alone.
VSG - 7/12/2011 with Dr. Gedeon and Dr. Oluwole, Bristol Hospital (CT)
theshrinkingmimi
on 7/19/11 4:07 am

Because your surgery is so recent, it probably is surgery gas which does not go away because of GasX.  Keep walking alot, especially while drinking.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2