Almost One Month Post-op

Bahamas1968
on 7/17/11 1:14 am - MI
Well its has been a challenging month. The surgery was most painful for me. The two days in the hospital were rough, but with the grace of God, I made it through. I only told my children prior to the surgery, because I didnt want anyone to talk me out of it. And of course after, everyone had their two cents, but it is my life and it was my choice.

I am very happy that at this point I have lost about 22 pounds. I find the most difficult part to be the delay from eating and feeling full. Sometimes I eat too much and don't realize it until a minute or two late freer. Thats challenging. I am also always thirsty. Not being able to eat and drink at the same time is also a challenge. Last night after being in the 90 degree heat for 4 hours, I ate a small bit of tuna salad and tried to sip some sugar-free ginger ale. BIG MISTAKE. I threw it all up and immediately felt much better.

For me the saving grace has been the Special K Protein shakes. They satisfy my sweet cravin and they fill me up with only 180 calories and 10 g of protein. I'm still figurin my love of food out, and feelin hungry with little room for food. However, I would do it all again for the feeling of victory over the weight battle.

I'll talk to you next month..............

Caligirlgina
on 7/17/11 1:18 am - CA
Way to go! 22 pounds is awesome. The biggest challange for me is the same as yours. Sometimes I don't know when I am full. Sometimes I take a timer with me to slow myself down when I eat. I take a bite every two minutes and that has seemed to help me.
xoxox
Gina
  1Mo(July 17, 2011) 265.1 (-28.7) Whoo hooo2Mo (Aug 17, 2011) 258.7 (-6.4) 3mo-253.5(-5.2) Finally broke a 5 week stall

Paige V.
on 7/17/11 1:45 am - Gainesville, FL
glad it is going well...btw I was just noticing your avatar and you have a beautiful smile =)

How do the Special K protein shakes taste? Do you taste that medicine-y taste?? I sweare I am having the most anxiety about being able to tolerate the protein drinks.
Bahamas1968
on 7/17/11 1:51 am - MI
No medicine-y taste at all....not for me anyway...more like slim fast withoout the bad stuff...

softnsweet
on 7/17/11 2:12 am
Protein shakes have been my fear, I throw up whey protein, Finally I realized I am allergic to it, so I have been drinking soy protein. Well to be honest, UGH! I am able to keep it down, but protein is an acquired taste. Unfortunately for us we have to acquire it. I don't have my surgery Until Aug 11, but I am trying to lose 20 pounds prior.(They told me I need it). Good luck on finding protein you like and can tolerate, we have to do it and we will!!!

Bahamas1968- congratulations on doing well with your surgery. I can't wait to be post-op. I think the fear of unknown is most challenging.
media604
on 7/17/11 4:39 am - GA
I would like to add a little tip about some premade protein shakes. I also have tried the Special K shakes but would like to add you may want to try the Premier Nutrition ones from Sam's or Costco. The are 30G of protein in 1 drink. Very important in the early months. I am extremely picky and love them just as much as the Special K which is on 10G of protein and more carbs I think.

I wouldn't have know till someone else on the board tipped me off.

I"m also 1 month out and experiencing the "learning to eat" thing like you. I've had a great month and lost 20 lbs. Best of luck!

Leigh
1st lapband 2004, 2nd lapband 2008: HW 275, SW 268, LW 175
VSG 6-17-11 - lapband finally gone!, SW 225, Ht. 5'5"

1st Goal - 18 lbs. 20% loss of excess weight - achieved July 9th!
2nd Goal - 36 lbs. 40% loss of excess weight -
3rd Goal - 54 lbs. 60% loss of excess weight -
4th Goal - 72 lbs. 80% loss of excess weight -
Final Goal - 90 lbs. 100% loss of excess weight -
Bahamas1968
on 7/17/11 5:48 am - MI
Thanks. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

RealRae2011
on 7/17/11 2:20 am - PA
Congrats on your wt lose. I am finishing up my pre-op testing. Came home today from a sleep study and it was crazy . I don't think I can wear a mask like that every night. I am a few steps from my surgery and I am a little nerves. I have some of the same concerns you talked about. Any advise to mentally prepare.
Bahamas1968
on 7/17/11 2:27 am - MI
Honestly, the only pre-surgery gitters advice I can give you is to not over-think it. Read these posts and be prepared. Just know that every experience is difference and you really have to feel your way to success. What works for one may not work for you. Its really about trial and error and focusing on your better health...

brownowl
on 7/17/11 3:49 am
hi i look forward to reading your next post i am 12 days post op and like you find it very challaenging about the amount i can eat i eat too fast then food gets stuck also not driniking untill 30 min after a meal i do forget to eat but it does rumble at me when hungry now i have bought all babay bowls to judge the amount i need but even that is too much 5 mouth fulls and i am full i have found ice pops my savour to get rid of that thirsty feeling 2 sugar free ice pops satisfy me hope you are still doing well next month i have lost 19lb from pre op to today 8lb from operation date 6.7.11 but nothing this week will weigh in next friday xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Most Active