2.5 months in the hospital - finally HOME!

Ulysses
on 7/14/11 10:27 am
Hello all,

Yes! Finally home!
I got my sleeve on April 26th but had some major complications afterward and spent 2 and a half months in the hospital.

Apparently there was hole where my esophagus met up with my new stomach, the "food" that I ate after surgery (jello, broth etc) went straight into my gut and not the stomach...It went septic and I started going downhill. The walks got harder and harder, pain got worse and by the time I started showing a fever I was in some trouble. My lungs got infected and I went into respitory failure, I went back to surgery and got 4 drains put in to purge the nastiness out. I had a trache put in and was breathing through my windpipe - because of the trache I could not speak for almost two months. That sucked! The ICU sucked - no sleep, blood draws constantly and whatever else they could think of to bother me every 10 minutes day and night...Gads!

Good news is I am home and sleeved, still really weak, but home. That long in the hospital takes all the strength out of your body. I have a lot of physical rehab to do but it's GREAT being out of the hospital. I can talk and have all the crap that was attached to me out, just on oxygen for a while. I was on IV feeding for a while and then tube feeding (straight down the nose and into the stomach****il 10 days ago. All pretty high calorie stuff, but I have managed to lose 70lbs.

Thanks to everone for all the concern, prayers and well wishes - it really means a lot.
I'm off to get more shakes and fluid down. And still have to face the milk and food that was sitting in the fridge for months.

Cheers,

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

runfatgirlrun
on 7/14/11 10:36 am
God Bless you Jason.  Good to hear that you have come out on the other side of this.
aintstoppin
on 7/14/11 10:38 am - NH
 Jason:
I am so happy to hear you are on the road to recovery.  We were all so worried about you.  What an ordeal you have been through.  Hopefully, it is all positive things in your future.
cheryl  

Birdie55
on 7/14/11 10:39 am
Thank you for posting an update on your situation. I hope your recovery goes more smoothly now that you are home.....

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

SASSI11
on 7/14/11 10:40 am
So glad to hear you are home and feeling better.  Best of luck on your continued recovery.   My prayers are with you.

Stephanie

kimbethin
on 7/14/11 10:40 am - CA
Sorry to hear how horrible your experience was.  So happy you are home and on the mend.  Best wishes for smooth sailing for the rest of the trip!
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Arianasmama
on 7/14/11 10:40 am - Beverly Hills, CA

Praise God you are better!  Prayers for continued healing coming your way.

Be Blessed            
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 10:44 am - CA
Holy **** man! Good to hear you made it and that you are home!
Faye56
on 7/14/11 10:45 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with

OMG! God Bless You!!!!! I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I am glad that you are better and I will pray for you a full recovery. that really scares the crap out of me! I am having my sleeve surgery next Tuesday. WOW.
Best Wishes to you Jason.

MARTINQ
on 7/14/11 10:45 am - RIVERDALE, GA
God has blessed you!! You are a definite testimony!! Glad that you are here with us!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics