Are all carbs evil?

SassyItalian
on 7/6/11 8:28 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Noooo!! But this really is on a case by case basis. Start by looking at your eating/nutrition plan you are getting from your doc.

Many people try and stick to under 40-60 grams of carbs a day while in the losing phase..You can get them more indirectly from vegetables and milk..but certainly complex carbs are not the enemy nor are they evil...Should you shovel in the white rice and sugar..probably not..definitely not..Your body has so little room for food what you take in should be nutrition packed.

Some folks are carb sensitive so they avoid them but many of us eat a fair amount a day..

I was a total carb addict before surgery, now I have some in moderation and my body functions well..

Remember- NO food group is the enemy, be it fats, carbs, etc. You need some of each daily for your body and brain to function properly.

Hope that helps!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kaydemo
on 7/6/11 8:33 am - TX
Thanks!  That's great info!  I've long since abandoned anything white....flour, rice, and even sugar.  But I do love brown rice, and even some good whole grain bread.  I guess the bad stuff for me would be popcorn, chips, crackers, etc. I know there's no place for those, but I wasn't sure if eating even the good carbs were a good choice after surgery.  I hope I can get it all nailed down!                                                                                                                                                             
Thanks again!  It really does help!
MediumSoon
on 7/8/11 10:03 pm - TX
 Just so you know - while it IS a slider food (goes down REAL easy once you are allowed to have it), popcorn is a whole grain - so not evil.  Chips, crackers - Way worse...

cabcab
on 7/6/11 8:35 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I choose food low in carbs, but I am not an anti-carb nazi.  There are also better and worse carbs.  Choosing brown rice over white rice.  Whole wheat pasta over white pasta.  Whole wheat bread over white bread.  I really have had barely any bread at all since my surgery.  In fact, if I added it all up I probably haven't had one whole slice in six months!  I do have some rice sometimes, brown rice if it's available, but I don't have a whole lot of it (I mean, really very little.)  And sometimes I have a little potato.  Green vegetables are always good for you.  Moderation is the key.  At least this all works for me.
    HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

kaydemo
on 7/6/11 8:40 am - TX

Haha!  Thanks for the input!  I was under the impression that I couldn't ever have pasta or rice because it can swell.  That doesn't make tons of sense to me, since it swells in the cooking process, but I really haven't the slightest idea!  But who am I kidding?  I haven't even had my surgery yet!  It's all a little foreign.  It's like looking from the outside in!  I'm hoping to remedy that soon! : )

thin1soon
on 7/6/11 8:51 am
We ALL crave carbs.  In the weight loss phase, though, these should be kept to a minimum IF you wanna lose your weight quickly and efficiently.  You CAN eat carbs, of course, the weight will just come off slower.

I am almost 3 years out from surgery and STILL(on the advice of my bariatric nutritionist) try to keep my carbs under 50 a day.  My weight has stayed constant since I lost my 114 pounds, operating on these guidelines. When I inch up to gaining 2 pounds, it's back to the weight loss food plan for me.  Then it comes right back off. Good luck!

thin1soon  TN

Pre-surgery weight 11/6/08-253
Post surgery (12 wks.) 2/3/09-185
68 pounds lost

kaydemo
on 7/6/11 9:03 am - TX
Wow!!  You're truly inspiring!  I keep going over things in my head, like I'm too old to make a serious change, I may take it off, but will I keep it off, etc.  I have a number of friends who are several years out from bypass, but I only have one sleeve friend, and she's just 3 months out from surgery, but doing great!  You help me to keep those negative thoughts in check!  I guess it is doable long term!  And I love the idea of a 2lb window.  Super cool!  Thanks again for sharing!
sfmini
on 7/6/11 9:17 am
My nut would have a fit over the super low carb thing. The brain requires 130 carbs just to survive and function well.
My program wants me on 60 grams of protein don't count carbs. Avoid all simple carbs, complex carbs only. Bascially I eat no processed foods so fresh meats, veg, fruits. Nothing from a box, bag, can, freezer unless we canned it ourselves or froze it ourselves (our own steer).
I try to stay in the middle between the extremes on the carb counters, and stay under 100, closer to 50 or 60 but don't get bent out of shape over it, and do take into account the net carb count.

heathermc44
on 7/6/11 1:52 pm - Bremerton, WA
Strawberries and other types of berries, as are most fruit, considered simple carbs.  What we should be saying is refined carbs to include all the white, sugary stuff.

califsleevin
on 7/6/11 9:19 am - CA
My program doesn't assign a specific target for anything other than the protein levels, with the basic admonition to avoid simple carbs and any other "empty" calories, rather than using a cookie cutter plan for everyone - which is a reasonable thing since we are all different with different initial co-morbidities, different levels of required weight loss and different rates of loss.

Initially it will be all you can do to get in the requisite protein. Some people have problems getting in enough protein for an extended period of time while others have little problem from the start - I was getting enough in by the second week that they were telling me to add in veggies. Once you are doing that comfortably you can probably start adding in more veg and other foods to flesh things out, while keeping an eye on your overall consumption to avoid impeding your loss - it all depends on what your program calls for as you progress. Our program starts adding in more fruits and other good carbies as one approaches goal weight, or if one is losing too quickly while others seem to keep you at a minimal calorie level as long as possible, which is probably appropriate for those with relatively more to lose.

It does get somewhat easier after surgery in that you won't have room for anything but your protein for a while. If you are working out a lot, I would expect that more protein would be appropriate along with some of the lo carb electrolyte enhanced sports drinks since you won't be getting much in the way of minerals in from your post op diet. I don't need the protein shakes anymore to attain the required protein levels, but I do use them as my afternoon snack on my workout days for recovery purposes.

Good luck in your journey,

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active