Were you prepapred mentally?

BriarRose
on 6/30/11 1:43 am
I had a long road to surgery. With my HMO it took 10 months from referral to surgery; so I had a long time to think about it, to research, to consider the lifestyle changes, and then to decide if I could do this or not. It was about 4 months until I got into the 3 month class for pre-ops, then the 3 months of classes and pre-op 1500 cal diet. I used that time to really think hard about what I ate, and why. Then I had another 3 months of waiting, and testing, proceedures, and labs until surgery. And although it seemed like FOREVER waiting; it really did give me the time to wrap my head around what I was doing.

When I had surgery; I was really ready. I never had "buyers remorse" I stuck to my post op plan. Now, in the last couple months, I will eat a bite or two of a shared dessert, or something, but I stick to protein first, get in my fluids, and try to remember to take my vits.

But getting to that point mentally ..... was really important.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Ms Shell
on 6/30/11 2:07 am - Hawthorne, CA
I'm changing my mental state on a daily/monthly/yearly basis.  Please take a look at my profile and read my blogs.  I chronically the emotional side of this journey.

I WAS mentally prepared but you can be mentally prepared to jump out a plane but until you DO you have no clue what to expect, how you are REALLY going to react etc etc.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

sublimate
on 6/30/11 4:28 am - San Jose, CA
For me my issues were/are a combination of mental and physical. The VSG went a long way with helping me with the physical portion. I continue to work on the mental and probably always will. Some things have gotten better... some things are still a work in progress.

Start weight: 388, Current Weight: 185, Goal Weight: 180, Weight Lost: 203 lbs
Certified Nutritionist VSG FAQsublimate: To elevate or uplift.
3/2012 Plastics: LBL, 3 Hernias Fixed, BL/BA, Rhinoplasty & Septum Fix. 6/2013 Plastics: Arm and thigh lift