Is this really necessary?

Prettygia
on 6/14/11 1:36 am - MD
Thanks everyone!
George B.
on 6/14/11 1:37 am - Miami, FL
I've bought all my multivitamins and B-12 sublingual pills at Costco. The average price is about $10 for 220 pills. Costco also offers frequent discount on vitamins so it's a good idea to stock up.

Daily I take 2 Gummy Vites Multivitamin and 1 B-12 sublingual. At almost 2 years post-op all my labs have been excellent with no deficiencies.

I drink a lot of skim milk and eat cheese, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese regularly so I have not taken calcium. My calcium levels have been great.

The monthly cost for my vitamins is minimal and I've had excellent results with them. Be wary of vitamins that cost $100-$200 per month and are sold by your doctor's office. The mark-up is added profit for the office.

MN_Mama
on 6/14/11 1:50 am
Like you've heard, you need your vitamins and B12, but don't forget:  your grocery bill is going to drop down to nothing!!!
I shop once a week and drop maybe $50 to feed myself and the hubby.  And that's with expensive meats heading my diet!
Even if the money wasn't being saved at the grocers, your health should come first.  Don't go cheap where it counts!  we can let our hair grow, cut our nails, wear the thrift store clothes, lose the cable and internet, but take care of our body or none of it will ever count again.

boomercd
on 6/14/11 2:28 am - OH
The problem is that some vits are primaraly absorbed in the stomach, since the vsg stomach surface is so small. there is not enough absorption able to happen. I believe B12 is one of those, that's why sub lingual or IM are recommended. diff a needed vit, don't skimp on your health.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

BriarRose
on 6/14/11 2:41 am
I take a multi vit, and B-12 vit. So far, so good. I also take a calcium supplement. I buy the multi at costco, and got the B12 at walmart. Cheap. I am over 50, so no periods and no need for iron. My last labs were good.

So, yes, take your vits. But no, not so expensive that you need to save up ! I think I bought 90 day bottle of multis for $25 at walmart, cheaper at costco. and B-12 was less than that.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
onehappygirl
on 6/14/11 3:44 am
When they remove 85% of your stomach they remove intrinsic factor, which is needed in "normal" people to metabolize the B12. Taking B12 supplements with VSG is not only a good idea, it is absolutely, vitally, necessary, as we VSGers have no intrinsic factor. (google intrinsic factor and Vit B12.)
(deactivated member)
on 6/14/11 4:42 am
Yep, totally necessary: multi, Cal citrate, and B12.. plus likely iron too.. though iron deficiencies can take a year or two to show up.. if you are still having periods, best to take a little. It's really not too much considering many of us were prob already taking multi's and calcium.. All can be found online or CVS cheap. No need to go for the $$$ ones. Just get a good multi like Centrum, Cal citrate, and B12 sublingual should be the methylcobalamin one for best absorption, just check the label.