Is this really necessary?

Prettygia
on 6/14/11 12:18 am - MD
I am currently at a pre op class and they are giving us all of this information on what to expect after surgery. One thing that came up is the protein shakes. I completly understand that protein is necessary. But then she goes onto say B12 shots once a month,calcium citrate, multi vitamins bla bla bla. Are the viatmins that she is telling us that there is no way around it and to budget the monthly cost is this necessary?
wert
on 6/14/11 12:22 am - MN
Multi vitamins and calcium citrate are an absolute must. You won't be eating enough to get all you need to maintain your health. Don't know about B12. That may depend on your blood work. I get the generic vites and calcium from Costco or WalMart. I buy the large economy size and they last a pretty long time.   

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Elena22
on 6/14/11 12:23 am
Short answer, Yes.

You will need to supplement due to the fact that you will not get all of the nutrients you need from your food intake.  In time you can track certain things through food, as I've heard from some vets out there, but supplementation is key I think to your overall feeling well, especially in the beginning. Following your docs orders, and take what they recommend, it's for your own good. :)
~ Elena.

Mom4Jazz
on 6/14/11 12:29 am

Most folks can do with a really good multivitamin, calcium and iron. I take a bariatric multivitamin, which is higher in B12. Once I get to maintenance, I'll probably switch to a regular multivitamin and see how my labs are.

My doctor's office is like that too - talks to sleeve patients like they were having a bypass with malabsorption. You are not likely to have much problem with B12 if you take a good supplement, but RNY patients often have serious deficiency.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

USAF Wife
on 6/14/11 12:33 am
Well, I have always used sublingual b12 which cost about $5 for a 60-90 day supply. No need to pay for an office visit, plus the injection of b12. Protein shake-never could use them wasted tons of money on them, buy samples and don't buy anything big until after surgery and see what you can and can not tolerate post-op.

As for vitamins, I don't care what anyone says, I only use high quality, ADULT vitamins. I'm 34 not 10 and do not believe that there is a true complete kid's vitamin out there for my adult body. For years, I took GNC Solotron with bioavailable iron for a multi, and Calcium citrate. I won a Facebook promotion from Celebrate and fell in love with their formulation on the multi complete and the citrate 500 plus. Amazingly enough, because of their fabulous formulation per my high risk ob and regular ob, I am staying on them through the pregnancy. For me, money invested in my vitamins is worth it. I'm not chalking up my innards (what I have left of them) to Flintstones. Others can and have zero issues taking them, I just choose to not do it.

B12 is beyond necessary, and one of the most deficiencies with VSG patients. Again, I've never had to do injections and just use the sublinguals that dissolve under my tongue.

My celebrate budget per month is a mere 20 bucks. That's a whopping 4 trips to Starbucks I can do without to have my labs remain stellar.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Margo N.
on 6/14/11 12:42 am
I second what USAF Wife said. The consequences of B12 deficiency (nerve damage) can be permanent so taking the sublinguals, which are cheap, is just smart. Also be sure to plan for blood work post op, with your regular doc if you don't have long term follow up with your surgeon - you'll want to make sure that your leavels of B12, iron, calcium, proteinetc are stable and not declining so that you can address any problems BEFORE you have a deficiency.

Lots of folks do great without protein shakes, some need them - you'll have to see what works for you.

Good luck!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

Paige V.
on 6/14/11 12:57 am - Gainesville, FL
what the others have said...besides...b12 is a fanastic thing for overall health
mylastchance
on 6/14/11 12:58 am
What you won't be spending on food you ..... some of that will be used for vitamins and yes the calcium and multi vitamins are necessary and I am sure your Dr. or nutritionist will add a few more essentials you will want to take.  The savings on your food will be greater than the expense of vitamins,  at least mine is. I buy large amounts of things on sale or at Costco and they last a couple of months at least, some longer.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

lucy2e
on 6/14/11 1:24 am - Laurel, MD
Hey Gia - congrats on getting to the pre-op class stage!  I got the liquid vitamins for the first month plus the sublingual B12.  At the 1 month post op nut class they have a reading vita label thing, so then we can switch to more generic vitamins.  I plan on bringing the info on the Centrum complete gummies to see if they will do the trick - really like them! 

The recommended vitamins are pricey - but it's just for 1 month! 

Also - if you do decide on the liquid vitamins, they tell you to put the multi and the calcium together.  This drove my stomach crazy - now I do them seperately and it works - so if you do the liquid and have that issue, try doing them seperately!

Good luck - let me know if I can help in any way!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Nicole S.
on 6/14/11 1:30 am - Vallejo, CA
Gia,
I too am pre op class stage. I go for my pre op eval and a long day of classes on the 20th.  As a general rule they tell us all the stuff for those who are having RNY done.  I think once the time comes down to it and we meet with the nutritionist and surgeon, they can fine tune it to what procedure and our labs have to say.  For the B12 I get mine at Costco, and that will last me awhile.  Matter of fact I am going vitamin shopping this weekend at Costco.  That way it will last me awhile :)

I understand budgeting constraints because I have them, but I look at it this way my food bill will be going down, so I can afford the supplments (pending on if our governor decides not to mess with my paycheck again!)

Hang in there I am in the same boat with ya!
~Nicole  
Height 5'1 HW- 320 SW-265 CW- 172.2 GW 140