NOT LOOSING WEIGHT! HELP!!!!

SisterBigBone
on 5/18/11 10:24 am - Bronx, NY

Today I went to my 6 week post-op appointment. The scale showed that I only lost 2lbs in a matter of 3 weeks. I wanted to cry right there. I haven't eaten anything bad. I only eat protein. I eat refried beans, fish, and vegetables only. Most mornings I have 1 scrambled egg with cheese or a protein shake. I haven't even attempted to eat chicken or any other kind of meat. I haven't gone to the gym that often, but I have gone and had great workouts.

What's wrong with me? My doctor said I need to find ways to increase my sluggish heart rate to make me lose weight, but I feel so discouraged. Any suggestions to help me lose weight. I'm about a moment away from breaking out into tears.

nsblue
on 5/18/11 10:30 am, edited 5/18/11 10:30 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada

"I haven't gone to the gym that often, but I have gone and had great workouts"

If you are getting in 600-800 cal a day and getting in your water and protein..I'd say increase your exercise DAILY. It will help your heart  and help burn those calories. Even if you walk daily for 1/2 hour...it builds up your cardio and works wonders.

sleeve genie
on 5/18/11 10:38 am - Alhambra, CA
It can be a very stressful time when the scale is not moving.  But unfortunatly it happens sometimes.   Our bodies will just stop and there isn't a lot we can do about it.   If you are following the rules and doing what you are supposed to do it will pick up again.  Try not to get too discouraged.  Its a journey not a race and you will get there  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Elaine2
on 5/18/11 10:39 am - Atlanta, GA

No tears!!! You can do this. Are you following your surgeon's food plan?

Are you tracking everything that goes in your mouth. If not, find a program you like...FitDay,  Livestrong, my fitness pal, etc.
Are you drinking a minimum of 64 oz?  Really important!
Are you meeting your protein goals? 
Are you keeping your carbs low? 

I don't know about the heart rate (I take daily meds to slow mine down). But maybe a 30 min walk at lunch time or use the stairs at work for 15 minutes would help.

You'll get there. Good luck.

tanieanie
on 5/18/11 10:59 am - WI
I know it can really mess with your mind when It looks like you are not making progress.  I had a two week stall my first month.  Have you been checking your measurements?  You are pro.bably losing inches and not lbs right now.  It will turn around I promise.   Also.  Today I had my 1 month checkup with my surgeon and thier scale showed 4lbs more than I know I weigh.... My guess is that my clothes I wore today vrs the sun dress I wore to my Nut appt made the difference.   Dont dispare.  We cant eat like this and not lose weight.  Maybe not in our timeline but it will happen.

BigCaliSmile
on 5/18/11 11:02 am - La Puente, CA
How about drinking more fluids if your already walking.Just a suggestion. It does get better but the first weeks seem to be the challenge.
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
mylastchance
on 5/18/11 11:19 am
Stalls are expected,  I have had many,  just keep doing what your plan says to do and things will start moving again.  Patience is key,  keep focused and don't get off track.  Check your measurements,  lots of times when you don't show lbs lost on the scale,  inches are lost instead. 

Nothing is wrong with you,  you are just getting frustrated and letting the "it's not working for me" monster overtake you.  Hang in there and let this work,  it takes time and lots and lots of patience.....
Good luck to you.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 11:23 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
I agree with MyLastChance.  I happen to be stalled right now but I'm not discouraged.  Gotta keep pressing forward!  Hang in there!
infodiva808
on 5/18/11 6:05 pm
Have you lost 76 pounds since surgery? If so that is phenomenal! Take it easy on yourself. Stalls happen but while they are happening I bet you can tell that your clothes, shoes and jewelry are looser. My weight loss stairstepped but we all don't lose at the same rate.

Keep up the good work. You will get there.

George B.
on 5/19/11 1:03 am - Miami, FL
What plan are you following?
Do you track what you eat?
How many carbs are you eating? I had to stop eating refried beans because they were too high in carbs.

My surgeon recommended the following plan which I followed and had great success with.
1. Eat 600-800 calories per day when losing weight.
2. Limit carbs to less than 40 grams per day.
3. Eat at least 75 grams of protein per day.
4. Minimum 64 oz. of liquids daily.
5. Do regular physical activity/exercise. This includes walking, biking, yard work, chasing after 2 bad kids.

I also track what I eat on myfitnesspal.com to keep me accountable.

You've done great so far. There's no reason why you should not continue to lose weight.

Good luck,
George

Most Active
Recent Topics