Pros and Cons of Sleeve

_rebecca
on 5/5/11 2:18 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
I had numerous problems with my band- slip, leak, broken tubing, trouble swallowing.  I have had nothing but success with the sleeve!  I absolutely love my sleeve.  You should take note of the high number of revisions that are being done due to the failure of the band.  Why get a surgery that statistically won't work? The sleeve has shown to be very successful.  I am losing and I have struggled with weight pretty much my entire life.  I was so depressed when I had the band because I felt like a failure.  Now, I get compliments all the time and everyone wants to know the "secret" of how I am losing, which I tell them of course!  Good luck with your decision.  I wish I had went with the sleeve to begin with. 
frisco
on 5/5/11 9:35 pm

First....just so you understand....All sleeves are not created equal....it's a non standardized procedure. So if your going to choose the sleeve.....step 2 is to learn a much about it as you can and choose your surgeon based on your research.

Pros: Lost 190lbs. Got my life back....

Cons: Had to buy all new clothes.....and all my watch bands need to be re-sized.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

walmartian
on 5/5/11 9:41 pm
I had thought about the ap band too, got the sleeve instead for reasons listed above. Also, look around this board and see how many had the band, couldn't deal with it, and are now HAPPY with VSG!

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/11 10:46 pm
I also started wanting the band. and like most of the reasons above I chose the sleeve.

My nutristionist said to me- on average band people loose about 40 to 60 lbs. That was my deciding factor considering I want to loose double that. Also I loved the idea of not feeling physical hunger-although it doesnt happon for everyone.
mstiffany2u2
on 5/6/11 7:42 am - VA
Thank you guys for the post. The more i look into it i truly believe i want the sleeve. It seems like this will work better for my life style. So here goes to 6months and counting.Thanks for all the positive replies.
sunny10
on 5/6/11 9:29 am
Never thought of getting the band.  I could not deal with the fact of having a foreign object inside my body for ever.  I could not deal with visiting the doctor to have the band adjusted.  After reading all the problems that people who have the band have gone thru, I am very happy I chose the sleeve. 
Sunny10    
September903
on 5/7/11 5:07 am
I suggest either VSG or bypass surgery. I had a banding in 1998 and had revision surgerynto a sleeve on 29April11, last Friday. I had complications including obstruction to my esophagus with the band, and the success is limited. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics