Im confused

Bahamas1968
on 4/27/11 10:35 am - MI
My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. YAY!! However, reading all these posts, I am really confused about the amount of fluid intake (oz per day, etc) Proteins vs Carbs....

I have purchased quite a bit of stuff in preperation for my surgery like broths, sugar-free puddings, jellos, and applesauces. I bought some baby food, frozen strawberries and pears.

I attended the pre-surgery meeting with the nurse and the nutritionist, however, the information I received was excessive. I j ust want to make sure I get in enough liquids and I don't get sick.

Any ideas?
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 10:47 am
 It is overwhelming.  

I think a good baseline is 64 oz of liquid or better a day, 60-100 grams of protein, not sure about carbs and all that good stuff, but definitely you will start off low carb.

Be careful with the applesauce, strawberries, and baby food, that stuff can have a lot of sugar (can be hidden somehow).

You'll have to experiment with what you like, what might be tolerable to others might not be tolerable to you....it's a lot of hit or miss.  Just remember chew good, eat slowly, wait 30 minutes before and after eating to drink and you should be good.  Also.  Do Not Forget the Vitamins and Supplements.  They are crucial.

Good luck and enjoy :)
Bahamas1968
on 4/27/11 10:59 am - MI
Thank you. Your numbers look wonderful. How do you feel and how was your journey...

readytostartover
on 4/27/11 12:03 pm - Detroit, MI
I see you have he same doctor I had.  I had my surgery on April 7, still trying to get in all the protein and water.  Good luck to you.

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 12:50 pm
 Thank you :).

I'm knocking on 33 and feel like I'm about 18 or 20 again, I actually found an old suit my Mom bought me for her wedding (I was 19) that is about two sizes too bit lol.

My journey is on-going and will never end to tell the truth.  I lost a lot of muscle along with fat and have been hitting the gym to lift weights regularly (got tired of Skeletor jokes) and can already tell a big difference.  I really haven't lost a pound for about six weeks now, but I'm almost another pants size smaller (started wearing a 54, almost ready for a 38 now) and size LT shirts are fitting well enough I'm comfortable wearing them untucked (started at 4 or 5XT).

It has not been easy physically or mentally but it's getting easier and more natural every day.  My menu actually has way more variety than before, I'm getting back into cooking and my whole family is healthier as a result.

I have been very fortunate and not had any major complications or set-backs, I have a supportive wife, great doctor/nursing staff, and was determined not to fail.  I was more afraid of failure than surgery complications while I was waiting to go into pre-op the morning of surgery.  

Things get a little shaky from time to time, that's when I like to login to this place and see what's going on with everyone else.  There is very little that an individual goes through that many others haven't as well.  Good luck and hope you continue to participate/update us as to your progress. 

Take measurements on a monthly basis, pictures too, and record your weigh-ins (I weigh in weekly).  I wish I would have :)
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 10:50 am
You'll find many plans differ, but a good bunch call for under 40g a day carbs, 70 g of protein and 600-800 cals a day, with a goal of at least 64 oz of liquids a day (your shakes, jello, water all count towards this goal.)  Good luck!!
Bahamas1968
on 4/27/11 11:00 am - MI
Thank you

sleeve genie
on 4/27/11 11:07 am - Alhambra, CA
You have gotten some great info already,  if you want to read some interesting stuff about the surgery and diet guidelines and timelines i found these links very helpful  :o) jeani

http://www.sleeveguide.com/uploads/1/7/9/4/1794785/dietguidevged42006feb.pdf
http://www.northwestobesitysurgery.com/pdf/sleeve-gastrectomy-diet.pdf
http://www.cornellweightlosssurgery.org/pdf/dietary_guidelines_sleeve_gastrectomy.pdf

the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Herbie55
on 4/27/11 11:11 am - MI
As far as fluids go, I started out with 48 16oz. bottles of water and then purchased various flavorings (crystal lite, MiO, herbal teas, etc). I also have decaf coffee, small boxes of chicken broth, boullion and jello. I made jello shots out of jello and liquid protein tonight. Can't wait to see how they turned out!
Denise
BriarRose
on 4/27/11 11:26 am
You want the honest truth ? The first week it's all about trying to get enough fluids into you so you don't dehydrate. TRY for 64oz. Try for 48 oz. It isn't easy for some of us to get there. Try your hardest to stay hydrated so you don't end up back in the hospital.

Once you are sure you are getting enough fluids, are walking to prevent blood clots, and have your pain under control so get enough sleep, then concentrate on your protein shakes and drinks.

I made myself chicken broth before hand and froze it in 4 ounce tupper containers. I made it from skinless chicken breasts, carrots, parsnips, onion, garlic, dill, and thyme. I cooked it until I had some intense clear broth. I strained it, and froze it. (I hate hate high sodium soups !)

It IS alot to think about. But there is usually someone on here to answer a question 24/7 !!!

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active