My First Carb Lesson Learned

wert
on 4/27/11 7:07 am - MN
I'm so happy to read another reason to stay away from processed carbs. I'm telling myself I MUST stay off them! Before WLS my 2 main food groups were carbs and sugar. Nothing else mattered. I'm learning, via this forum and other places, that carbs are like crack. I think one of the reasons I feel so darn GOOD is because I don't do either any more. I think I'll stay off them as long as I possibly can. I'll use your example as another lesson to myself. Thank you

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

didim62
on 4/27/11 8:48 am - Kensington, CT
It's true. I don't eat sugar either and for a very long time pre op did not.  I have to admit that even back then I felt better without the sugar and  minimal carbs.  It's a learning process. Good luck!!
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 9:05 am
I stay away from all things "white", rice, pasta, sugar, bread, tortillas, etc.  I have no resistance to those things so its better that I don't even incorporate them into my diet.  While a sandwich sounds wonderful and was my pre surgery favorite food, it just isn't worth all the work I have put into this up to now and will continue to put into my new chance at life.  When my favorite uncle went to rehab and kicked alcohol, he didn't even have cooking wine in the house.  His favorite saying was, "If your allergic to snakes, you don't keep them in the house".  Makes sense to me.
foodlover
on 4/27/11 9:22 am
my nut and dr said I have to have 50% carb and 50% protein at each meal.  Maybe this is why I have been stalled this long...
didim62
on 4/27/11 9:26 am - Kensington, CT
That seems a bit extreme but each DR has their own plan.  I do think , however, that it is implied that the carbs be from veggies, fruits and unrefined/processed foods. I could be wrong but if I were to eat 2 oz of chicken with 2 oz of rice, I'd have the same issues I just had with a sandwich thins bread.
Didi ..... Sleeved and living my NEW LIFE!!!!

Highest WT 381   Surgery WT (367.8)    Current WT 236
wert
on 4/27/11 10:35 am - MN
You might want to give yourself permission to use "selective hearing" when it comes to some of the nutrition stuff from your NUT.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Most Active
Recent Topics