Interesting facts about the BMI Scale

bublegirl1
on 4/25/11 6:39 am
RNY on 11/10/14
My scale that is supposed to measure weight and bmi and water always says my bmi is around 40%. But when you do the math I'm around 32 %. So I look at the weight but try not to worry too much about the bmi because it's so frustrating!

-Amie

BriarRose
on 4/25/11 6:45 am
At Kaiser (my HMO) the 'gatekeeper' doctor told me my goal weight should be 120. I am 55 years old, and 5'2.5". At the time I weighed 300 lbs. I told him I hadn't weighed 120 pounds since in more than 43 years. He asked me what MY goal was. I told him between 160 and 170.

When I saw my surgeon, he asked me the same question. I was expecting the 120 thing again. I told him 165. He looked at me with his eye brows raised and told me that 165 was exactly where he thought I would get to, and that it was a totally acceptable, reachable and logical goal. He also told me that 175 was too. He went on to say that it might not put me into the perfect BMI catagory, but that it would make both of us very happy !

Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
brownblonde
on 4/25/11 7:06 am
 QUESTION:

Getting away from how "gaunt" someone may look at a "healthy" bmi...

Studies that I've read make use of the bmi to classify groups of people when testing for disease occurence, mortality rates, etc.  So wouldn't that still concern people?  I mean, the studies I've seen about cancer or heart disease often make reference to "obese" people or "people with a bmi over x" or "overweight" people.  So if the studies show that people over whatever bmi are at higher risk for these conditions, wouldn't you still be a little concerned?  Maybe one obese does not equal another obese, as in the case of really tall or muscular people.  However, in general, excess weight after a certain point is problematic it seems. 

frisco
on 4/25/11 7:58 am, edited 4/25/11 10:23 pm

Excellent observation......

As much as we can find fault with the current (old) BMI index and would like to see it revised.....

Much data in many different medical studies have already used BMI as a baseline or comparative index.

I know my surgeon only uses BMI as a loose baseline. He determined my weight individually by watching me to go down to a weight than actually said "Stop...now hold it for a year" I ended up at a weight that is just barely in the normal BMI range (high side)....just two tics away from overweight.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Ms Shell
on 4/25/11 8:17 am - Hawthorne, CA
My problem with your theory is the BMI chart is easy and it's readily available but it doesn't take into account body weight, muscle weight, etc.  You can be overweight and even obese by the BMI chart BUT have a really low body fat and be more muscle (which is I believe the post of the guy trying to go into the armed forces).  Also based ON some studies many minorities have DENSER bones which by nature would make them "weigh" more at a certain height and again the BMI doesn't take that into account either.

Even WLS patients many strive towards that "goal" number and don't take into account how much of their "weight" is flapping skin.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Crabadams72
on 4/25/11 10:23 am - Silver Spring, MD
Brown---excellent point. This is exactly my thinking. Sure I am aiming to go to around 23 bmi and I know the chart is old BUT...my 1st reason for getting this surgery is to hopefully avoid the family curse of diabetes, hbp and heart disease. I was 137 and slammin hot when I met hubby. I know this number might have to go up to about 145 BUT being a larger size after all this insurance headache, a high co-pay and waiting-I am doing all I can to get to my goal.
Ms Shell
on 4/25/11 8:20 am - Hawthorne, CA
 Because I will NEVER ever want to or fit in anyone ELSE's mold I beleive again that the BMI chart is a GUIDE.  The BEST guide in my opinion is going and getting your weight measured by either the dunk tank or a bod pod which takes into account your skin, muscles, fat etc.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

MikeyMike
on 4/25/11 9:51 am - New York, NY
I wrestled with getting to a normal BMI for a while. I decided that I'm going with how I feel not by some number on a chart.

Current BMI is 28.5 although I'm wearing a Medium Shirt and 34" jeans. I would have to loose another 25 pounds to get to the high end of a normal BMI. Don't think it's worth it. I'd look like a crack head.

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics