Interesting facts about the BMI Scale

faylavi
on 4/25/11 5:31 am - Laurel, MD
 my box said "DAMN!!!!! "

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

jimbovsg
on 4/26/11 12:58 am
On April 25, 2011 at 12:31 PM Pacific Time, faylavi wrote:
 my box said "DAMN!!!!! "
Mine was beyond...."oh hell no!"  at almost 600lbs!  (from Gabriel Iglesias' levels of fatness!)  I wasn't overweight.....I was under-tall!  I should have been like 14' 6"

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 5:32 am - MD

Hell yeah Jenn!!  lol 
Follow me on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/seelessofme22
HW - 311; SW - 296; CW - 191; 1st GW - 190; 2nd GW - 180?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
bublegirl1
on 4/25/11 6:38 am
RNY on 11/10/14
haha you crack me up!

-Amie

Ulysses
on 4/25/11 5:17 am

I belive the BMI scale is a joke.
I am 6'3 and have a very "large frame" see:
www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php
To find out yours...

According to the standard BMI my weight (smack in the middle of normal) should be 172 pounds.
That would give me a BMI of 22 - I would be a beanpole at 172 and would have to lose a LOT of muscle mass to achieve that weight.

When I was in the best shape of my life I weighed 210-220 pounds
I look really good at 230: but anything over 198 Lbs puts me firmly into the "overweight" category. and 230 puts me a 1 point away from Obese.

It's a joke

Jason

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 5:34 am - MD
I couldn't agree more Jason.  It's a HUGE joke.  Unfortunately, there are A LOT of peopel who are caught up in that scale because that's what they think they should be following.  They end up depressed or frustrated because they can't make it to their "normal" weight. 

It's a mess!!
Follow me on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/seelessofme22
HW - 311; SW - 296; CW - 191; 1st GW - 190; 2nd GW - 180?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
Ulysses
on 4/25/11 5:58 am
I always have had a problem with the BMI scale...Straight out of High School I was 6'1 (had a 2nd puberty the next few years ;). I played football and wrestled - I tried to join the Air Force and at that time (ah to be 18 again) I weighed 185 pounds...I was all MUSCLE and MULLET!

The AF said I had to be at 172 to be accepted (it has changed now). I tried every trick I knew to make that weight (spitting, dieretics, laxatives, fasting) - all wrestling tricks on making weight...
Never could get below 176 and I was denied - "Try the Army son"...
Hell, I had veins that went from the top of my biceps to my thumbs, and VISABLE ab muscles. Still a no-joy on the Air Forrce because of the friggin BMI Standard.

It gots to go...
Jenn H.
on 4/25/11 5:35 am - Portland, OR
 I got the similar results and I'm 6' and I also think I'd be too much of a beanpole at 172. BMI scale shouldn't be taken seriously.

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

May D.
on 4/25/11 5:34 am
I don't know what to think of the BMI scale.  I just know that for my height 5'0" and my former weight (278) I was morbidly obese.  My mind acted like a thin girl, but my weight would let me do the things a thin girl could anymore.  For me it's not about clothes, getting into a bikini or fashion and being skinny.  I even hate the word "skinny."  It's about being healthy.  I am petite (small boned) despite having come from strong peasant stock and at my height and small frame, my healthiest weight will probably be 125.  

I've been thin before and I went around flaunting it only to put all the weight back on and then some.  I felt like an ass.  So with each pound lost I will celebrate it as being closer to healthy.

Puppylovemommy
on 4/25/11 5:34 am - LA
I remember a while back when they said something about athletes could be considered to be obese because of what they weigh.  BMI is just a guide and its not FACT!  I think they were comparing Shaq to this BMI chart. He would be considered tragically overweight, but that was not the case as he was one of the best players in the NBA....
Most Active
Recent Topics