Interesting facts about the BMI Scale

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 4:54 am - MD
I recently attended a Support group meeting where our speaker told us some interesting information about the BMI scale. 

I've always been a thick girl and I felt good about myself until I got bigger and bigger and got more and more comorbid issues.  I had set a goal weight of 180 for myself just so I could be out of the obese range on the BMI scale.  After learning some more information about the BMI scale I am no longer concerned with fitting into the overweight range.  I'm going to stop where I feel and look good for me.  If you look and feel good at a "normal" weight then that's great.  If you look and feel good at an "overweight" or "obese" weight...well good for you too!

Here are the Facts:

BMI History

It was invented between 1830 and 1850. While the formula dates to the 19th century, the new term "body mass index" for the ratio and its popularity date to a paper published in the July edition of 1972 in the Journal of Chronic Diseases by Ancel Keys.  BMI was explicitly cited by Keys as being appropriate for population studies, and inappropriate for individual diagnosis. Nevertheless, due to its simplicity, it came to be widely used for individual diagnosis, despite its inappropriateness.

BMI has become controversial because many people, including physicians, have come to rely on its apparent numerical authority for medical diagnosis, but that was never the BMI's purpose; it is meant to be used as a simple means of classifying sedentary (physically inactive) individuals with an average body composition.

For a given height, BMI is proportional to mass. However, for a given mass, BMI is inversely proportional to the square of the height. So, if all body dimensions double, and mass scales naturally with the cube of the height, then BMI doubles instead of remaining the same. This results in taller people having a reported BMI that is uncharacteristically high compared to their actual body fat levels.

Follow me on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/seelessofme22
HW - 311; SW - 296; CW - 191; 1st GW - 190; 2nd GW - 180?

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
faylavi
on 4/25/11 5:03 am - Laurel, MD
 Ok I am not tall (only 5'4) but I want the rest of my stomach back 

Sorry I could not resist (I did not take Aderral today).  That is some VERY important information.  I know for a fact that 150#s at 5'4'' is NOT my natural weight.  I weighed 139-150 in my late 20s (weigh****chers).  It was hell to maintain and I looked gaunt/ malnourished.

Thanks again!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 5:15 am - MD
Girl...you are too crazy...lol

When the guy mentioned that the BMI scale was orignated in the 1800's...I was like "Well forget that,  I'm gonna stop where I feel good and that's that." 

"Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is success." 
faylavi
on 4/25/11 5:28 am - Laurel, MD

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

46yrs old  5'4'' HW 306  AW  288  SW 276 CW 192  205                                                  Next goal <199     

brownblonde
on 4/25/11 5:04 am
Interesting article.  Another case of people using one element, a guide if you will, as the standard.

I must be one of the few people who likes the bmi and thinks it a useful tool.  You see, I cannot trust dress sizes, or even my "perception" of size.  When I weighed 277 I thought I looked a LOT thinner than I actually was, looking back.  I noticed at about 220 I actually looked like I felt I looked at 277...if that makes sense.  Now, it's a weird switcharoo because I used to think I was a lot thinner than my weight, now I see myself a lot bigger.  I used to think 171 was fairly small, or a size 10.  Now I'm convinced it's a conspiracy lol!  Additionally, sizes vary so much.  I can now wear everything from a size 8 to a size 14 (mostly 10's, though).  Vanity sizing exists.  I tried on my mother's size 12s from only about 10 years ago or so, and they would not snap.  Not even close.  I used to think I might be good with being "overweight" or 60%ewl, but I am not.  I can now see where I fit into that chart.

But, I think you hit on something really important:  WHERE YOU FEEL GOOD.  As in physically.  that could be a good indicator.  Also, it seems that very few people have to actually stop themselves from losing weight!  Most of us are hoping the scale keeps ticking down.

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 5:22 am - MD
The BMI is useful as a guide but it is not the end all be all.  Some people fit perfectly into the formula and others don't.  My point in posting this is that some people are killing themselves to lose that last 10- 15 pounds because the BMI scale says that they should.  My "normal" weight is around 130 pounds...There is NO WAY I'll look good at that weight.  I weighed 155 in high school and looked sick.  I weighed 190 in college and I looked HOT!  lol  (Confirmed by many people...not just in my head...lol)

At first, I really wanted to at least be considered "overweight" by the BMI scale so I was gonna push to 180 JUST so I could be "overweight".  After reading about this, I'm not concerned with the BMI scale anymore.  My measure for success will be feeling good, being healthy, being happy and maintaining all of the above...lol

tdenise8958
on 4/25/11 5:04 am - CO
I couldn't agree with you more! My sister who is a nurse has always, always told me not to go by the BMI chart. First its old a time. Second, it doesn't take into account ethnicity, which people of color are just built different, plain and simple. My BMI for normal range is 167 pounds. I would look ridiculous at that weight, which is why I set my own personal goal of 180-190 pounds! I don't give a darn what the BMI chart says!
  Lost 12 pounds during pre-op diet

frisco
on 4/25/11 5:13 am

Wait....Wait....

What about "Four scores and 7 years ago......All men are created equal"??????

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Seelessofme22
on 4/25/11 5:31 am - MD
You are so right about different ethnic groups having different body types, but even within our ethnic group there are still skinny, petite people so you can't even lump all of an ethnic group together either. 

Everyone just has to determine where they are HEALTHY and HAPPY!  If you don't have any comorbid issues, can run, jump and skip at 200 pounds...then great!!

Jennchap
on 4/25/11 5:16 am - CA
 When I get to my goal weight I want the BMI chart… to have no numbers in that square… I just want it to say… HOT SKINNY ***** Maybe its time they made it more modern… then again I would have been sad… when I looked the old box I fit in and it said HEART ATTACK IN BOX FATTY
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

Most Active
Recent Topics