wHAT IS THE ACTUAL PURPOSE OF 6 MONTH SUPERVISED dIET?

Linda A.
on 4/24/11 7:15 am - Byhalia, MS
VSG on 01/19/12
 My Dr. wants to do a revision from lap band ( very little weight loss and lots of discomfort) to either the sleeve or bypass. I am thinking the sleeve.  In order to be approved i have to do the 6 month diet thingy. Problem is I was so uncomfortable with the band the Dr. removed half my fluid. Now I am gaining weight. What happens if in the 6 months you actually gain weight?
(deactivated member)
on 4/24/11 7:35 am - Edmonton, Canada
A supervised diet shows your commitment, remember this is a huge adjustment with the mind.  As for a sleeve that would be my choice not a bypass there are alot more issures with the bypass.  If you gain weight they might refuse you, again it is a huge committment
MsSonja
on 4/24/11 7:47 am - Kent, WA
The weightloss shows how compliant you are.  I hear that with revisions, you are more likely denied if you don't show weightloss because the first procedure wasn't successful, they can say it's you, not the surgery.  I don't know how true this is for everyone or every plan but it happend with one friend who ended up having to re-do the 6 month weight loss again.

Find the right food plan that will work for you; even with the sleeve or bypass, it's just a tool.  You have to change your mind set or you'll never win the war with weightloss.  Good luck!  ~~S

~~ Ms. Sonja 

sleeve genie
on 4/24/11 7:58 am - Alhambra, CA
I didn't have to do one,  sometimes i think it would have been good if i did.  Hopefully you learn how to eat right,  so that once you do have the surgery you will have good success.   I learned a lot about things after my surgery.  Also to show you are committed to making the changes required to be successful in this endeaver.  Personally i would think the sleeve would be the better choice. jmho :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Ulysses
on 4/24/11 8:08 am
I believe it's the insurance companies last ditch effort to avoid paying for the procedure.
I have never seen the benefit or need of the 6 month "supervised" diet.
If you lose lots of weight....Great you don't need WLS! Or now your BMI is too low
If you gain weight...Hello? We can't maintain on diets! So I failed another diet....Again!
They just seem to me like a waste of time and is almost an oxymoron - damned if you do, and damned if you didn't.
If your PPC or Surgeon (these are medical professionals if i'm not mistaken) recommend to Insurance that you NEED WLS and typical diet programs have FAILED...Then why the 6 months???

That's my .02 cents (I didn't have to do one with Anthem)

J

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

boomercd
on 4/24/11 8:54 am - OH
I'm in the middle of the dreaded 6 months now, all I know is it has given me time to adjust my eating behaviors, and also given me time to get my other clearances done, my ins requires a BMI of 40 you might want to calculate where that is so you don't fall below what your ins requires, also my NUT said if I gain weight my surgeon may cancel my surgery, due to problems with fatty liver during surgery, she told me not to do a farewell to food tour..... but the 6 months does go by quickly, and you can do it.

I'm Still a work in progress, I wont give up the quest to reclaim my life, I will be whole again someday!
                          HW297 SW269 CW149.2

njmom5870
on 4/24/11 10:17 am
I thinks it to bust people chops and hope they don't follow through with it!!

I got lucky because my insurance had just got rid of the 6 month diet the week before my first appt for the revision. I had my first appt the last week of Nov 2011=0 and was sleeved Jan 2011

Also, call the insurance company and question why this should apply to a revision!!  Since you band is failing you, the guideline shouldn't apply.  Be persistent!!!

Best of Luck
Nina
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

Most Active
Recent Topics