is there anyone who DIDN'T do a pre-op liquid diet?

Chrissyissy
on 4/22/11 2:19 pm
I'm one of the "lucky" ones who had to do 2 weeks of a liquid diet... medifast shakes, water, sugar free jello and broth!!

I'm just wondering if anyone didn't have to do that before the surgery.
Jennchap
on 4/22/11 2:27 pm - CA
 For me it was only the day before surgery 
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

NuevaMujer714
on 4/22/11 2:30 pm - Irvine, CA
I also had to to the 2 week liquid 3 protein shakes and 1 meal of 500 k and this weekend I start clear liquids b 4 my surgery date of 4/25

I gues every Dr is diffrent all I know the more protein u have the better u recover
XOXO Thanks for the Support            
BriarRose
on 4/22/11 2:40 pm
I had been on a 1500 cal diet for the 5 months prior, with supervision from a nut. from my HMO. I lost 34 lbs pre-op in 5 months. My surgeon told me that since I had consistantly lost weight, I did not have to do his usual 2 week liquid diet. I just had 24 hours full liquid, then 24 hours clear liquid the two days prior to surgery.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Brenda L.
on 4/22/11 2:43 pm - Raleigh, NC
I did not have to do a prep op diet.
  Brendini                                                              
cloveparis
on 4/22/11 2:51 pm - covington, GA
im getting surgery on april 28 i only have to do a 2 day liquid diet. does anyone think it matters or makes a difference in your weight loss?
Donna09
on 4/22/11 3:30 pm - CA
I only had a 3 day clear liquid diet before surgery.  Prior to scheduling my date though, I had to lose 10 pounds.
JustLora
on 4/22/11 3:44 pm - Omaha, NE
No pre-op diet for me, but a friend of mine who had the same surgeon & surgery did. We were similar in ht & wt also.
Lora

SW 235/GW 150/CW 140   I'm 5'6" 

wert
on 4/22/11 3:51 pm - MN
I didn't have to do the 2 week liquid diet BUT I did have to lose a certain amount of weight before they'd do surgery. This is another one of those things that varies from doc to doc. The purpose of losing before surgery - whether you do the 2 week liquid or have to lose before hand - is to reduce the amount of fat on the liver. This makes your surgery safer. 

I'll tell you what, tho. If I'd had to do the 2 week liquid before surgery, then liquids after surgery, I'd have been one sorry soul. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 3:53 pm

Nope - my surgeon didn't require it.
I'm doing it anyway to get a jumpstart on losing and maybe a shrunken liver actually does help?
I have no idea whay some surgeons require it and some don't...
I will have a head start on the post-op this way though.
It has been tempting to cheat....But just 2 more days and 1 day of required clear liquids before my sleeve. BTW: I have lost quite a bit on the pre-op and feel pretty good physically.
It is boring though
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Most Active
Recent Topics