Help! Ok so now Im confused...

Mandi E.
on 4/22/11 9:52 am - Kissimmee, FL
Kisha,

Here's my opinion take it for what it's worth. If you get the RNY you're opening yourself up to vitamin deffinciencies, you're more likely to loose your hair, your teeth, and there's the lovely dumping syndrome. All for what an extra 10% CHANCE of lossing more body mass weight? Seriously, this tool can do the EXACT same thing for you without the issues. There are NO long term complications and you'll be able to eat normal food the rest of your life. Do you really plan to NEVER eat another sweet? That's what it'll be like with RNY. I've been researching this for 6 years now before I made my decision. My best friend is getting the RNY on May 19th. I'm all for it. Because it's a personal choice. However shame on your surgeon for trying to talk you out of it. I got the questiona at my initial consultation but was very adament about having the sleeve. It's what works for you. NOT WHAT PUTS MORE MONEY IN YOUR SURGEON'S POCKETS!! Just think it through and do what's best for you!! I hope this helps. If you need support I'm always here to talk to!

xoxo~Mandi
"I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it!" ~Marilyn Monroe
 HW:422LBs Pre-op:394LBs SW:391.6LBs CW:303LBs GW:190LBs (5'10")
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SassyItalian
on 4/22/11 10:55 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
You need to do more thorough research so you can have your own opinion on which is best for you. The body being operated on is yours, no one elses, and you owe it to yourself to be as informed about the benefits and risks of each surgery.

Being better informed will help with your weight loss also no matter which procedure you choose.

On the right hand upper corner of the screen there is a section of advantages and disadvantages for the VSG and I am sure the same for RNY on their page. Familiarize yourself with the ins and outs.

This is the biggest and most permanent decision you will likely ever make.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Ulysses
on 4/22/11 11:17 am
WARNING!!! THIS IS A JOKE!

Who Needs a Porsche?

There was a mouse and an elephant and they decided to go for a walk in the jungle together. So they set off walking and talking and were not really paying attention to where they were going, when all of a sudden the elephant fell in a hole.

"Oh My!" the elephant cried. "What will we do?...I can't climb out on my own".

"Don't worry" said the mouse. I'll just run back into town and get my Porsche and we will have you out of there in no time at all."

So the mouse ran back to town and got her porsche. When she arrived back at the hole she backed the Porsche up to the edge. The mouse then threw the elephant one end of a chain and secured the other end to her bumper.

"Here we go" the mouse yelled to the elephant as she put the Porsche in gear and pulled the elephant out of the hole.

"Thank you, thank you so much my friend!" said the elephant.
"My pleasure" said the mouse "Should we continue on our walk?"

The elephant agreed, but as he turned toward the mouse his trunk accidentally knocked her into the hole.

"Oh my goodness" the elephant wailed, "I'm so so sorry!...Oh, What are we going to do now. I'm too big to fit in your porsche!"

"Not a problem" the mouse responded "Just throw your dick down here" The elephant trusted the mouse so he threw his dick into the hole and the mouse climbed out on it.Once she was out the elephant and mouse continued on their walk with no further mishaps.

And the moral of the story is... ?

"If you have a big enough dick you don't need a Porsche!"

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

jimbovsg
on 4/22/11 1:16 pm
On April 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM Pacific Time, Ulysses wrote:
WARNING!!! THIS IS A JOKE!

Who Needs a Porsche?

There was a mouse and an elephant and they decided to go for a walk in the jungle together. So they set off walking and talking and were not really paying attention to where they were going, when all of a sudden the elephant fell in a hole.

"Oh My!" the elephant cried. "What will we do?...I can't climb out on my own".

"Don't worry" said the mouse. I'll just run back into town and get my Porsche and we will have you out of there in no time at all."

So the mouse ran back to town and got her porsche. When she arrived back at the hole she backed the Porsche up to the edge. The mouse then threw the elephant one end of a chain and secured the other end to her bumper.

"Here we go" the mouse yelled to the elephant as she put the Porsche in gear and pulled the elephant out of the hole.

"Thank you, thank you so much my friend!" said the elephant.
"My pleasure" said the mouse "Should we continue on our walk?"

The elephant agreed, but as he turned toward the mouse his trunk accidentally knocked her into the hole.

"Oh my goodness" the elephant wailed, "I'm so so sorry!...Oh, What are we going to do now. I'm too big to fit in your porsche!"

"Not a problem" the mouse responded "Just throw your dick down here" The elephant trusted the mouse so he threw his dick into the hole and the mouse climbed out on it.Once she was out the elephant and mouse continued on their walk with no further mishaps.

And the moral of the story is... ?

"If you have a big enough dick you don't need a Porsche!"

Her Doc probably drives a Porsche!  LOL!

JIMBO...  350lbs! lost!.....  TRIPLE CENTURY CLUB!!  HELL ...YEAH!  
MY  VSG......KICKS ASS!                                                                                                                                                                                      

I  am   6' 2"    

sleeve genie
on 4/22/11 11:32 am - Alhambra, CA
i agree with everything everyone already said.  My doctor wanted to do the bypass because he had done so many and very few sleeves.  They also make more money but i don't give a dam about his income i wanted the best choice for me and i know its my sleeve.  Good luck sweetie,  do what is best for you, no one else  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Jennifer S.
on 4/22/11 12:14 pm

Please remember I have no personal experience with either procedure, as my surgery won't be until August.  But... I always have an opinion! 

When I first started considering WLS, I went to seminars for 2 different surgeons.  One surgeon is world renowned and has done more WLS than he can probably count.  However, he was pushy and tried to tell his patients which procedure to have.  NOT based on their personal medical condition, but blanket statements about which procedure was better to an audience of 50 people.  I left and never looked back.  The other surgeon explained all the choices, answered all the questions, gave me pros and cons of each procedure... and then asked MY opinion.  Choosing him as my surgeon was the easiest choice ever. 

Anywho... if your surgeon isn't comfortable and willing to support your decision, I might consider if that is who I wanted to do my procedure.  If he can give you medical reasons, then by all means, listen to him and keep an open mind.

Good luck,
Jenn

Jennifer

Jasonm11
on 4/22/11 12:43 pm
If my doctor talked bad about Mercedes, I'd find a Doc that drove a Ford...but no it just sounds like for whatever reason your doc has a preference to RNY....do what is right for you determined by your research alone.
Susan0714
on 4/22/11 9:56 pm - Kenner, LA
Kisha,

I am sorry that your surgeon has brought these  thoughts to your head, you are about to go for surgrey, and more stress doesn't need to be added to you now..

Do what you feel is right, like everyone has already said your doctor is getting paid more for the RNY, who cares what he wants.. He does not have to live with your stomach after surgery, YOU DO!!!  You chose the sleeve and stay with it..

I have not had surgery yet, but I chose the sleeve for all the same reasons you did. I did not want all the problems with the RNY, I did not want my intestines attached and reattached.

It is your choice, not your doctor's.. Good Luck..

Susan
ksing6691
on 4/24/11 4:56 am - Sacramento, CA
Im apologize for responding back to this post late. I have been going thru hell with this liquid diet.

I wanted to be sure I thank all of u for your responses it really helped me to decide to stick with my decision and get the sleeve. This is what I want and have spent lots of time researching it. I originally was gonna do the RNY but after researching the sleeve and hoping my insurance covered it I decided to go with that.

So thanks again for helping me thru this crazyness and helping me see that the doctors are in for it for money at times. I didnt even think about that. That made everything clear.

Kisha

Most Active
Recent Topics