7days til my surgery....

Bahamas1968
on 4/21/11 9:43 am - MI
I keep looking at the before and after pictures, but really I am worried about how I will feel. I don't want to be sickly or tired. I want to be able to live my life and feel good about my body and my health. Does anyone understand my concerns?
Jasonm11
on 4/21/11 9:47 am
This was probably one of my biggest concerns since I was already so tired all the time. I didn't want to end up more tired while trying to improve my health....

In the end though, I have more energy now than I ever remember having long before I got to even the weight I am now, while going up. It has been great!
SassyItalian
on 4/21/11 10:00 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I had the same concerns and had some rough patches along the way. Because I did not have co-morbidities pre-op and was realitvely "healthy" pre-op I worried a few times along the journey that I had made myself sicker than I was pre-VSG. I have struggled with fatigue and low potassium since surgery.

Your recovery will take time. For me it has taken these last 4 months to feel normal completely again. But let me tell you, no matter what -you will feel normal again and you will feel even better with the weight gone.

Of course these realizations came to me when I was surfing in the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii, something I would never have done 4 months ago...So I guess I will never feel "normal" again because normal was on the side lines and not living it up like I am now!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 10:06 am

I can totally relate, I am always so tired now that I worry that with only 600 or so calories that it won't be enough to haul my butt around post op.

I checked with my dad (he is a primary care physician and had the RNY) - he told me that once the body starts burning fat (in the ketosis stage) for energy instead of food, you have all the high potency energy your body will need. The key to taking in adequate protein is so that your body doesn't turn to your LMM (lean muscle mass) and burn that for energy.

Fat on your body is stored for future use as the bodies fuel - it is designed for that. So the post-op weight loss is a very natural thing for your body to do...It's simply going through the packed away (FAT) energy stores instead of incoming food.

I am pretty sure we will do fine.
I have my surgery next Tuesday and am anxious about it, but more than that - I am looking to turn the page on a new chapter in my life.

Best of luck Bahamas1968
BTW: 1968 was a very good year!

J

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Bahamas1968
on 4/21/11 10:15 am - MI
Thank you and good luck....
Lisa S.
on 4/21/11 10:19 am - TX

Ulysses,
We are having surgery on the same day! I really hope you do well. Good luck! :)

Ulysses
on 4/21/11 10:22 am
COOL!
Best of luck to you and your sleeve as well...
I had my final pre-op today.
All green lights till Tuesday am
J
Sharon R.
on 4/21/11 11:40 am - VA
VSG on 05/03/11 with
Thats my surgery date also
That which does not kill me makes me stronger
Height:  5.9   HW: 274  SW: 263
Sharon           

Lisa S.
on 4/21/11 10:20 am - TX
Bahamas-

I had the very same concerns. I went in for my pre-op appointment with my doctor yesterday, and he was really encouraging. He did say I wouldn't feel good for a few weeks, but after that, it's all uphill.

I wish you the best of luck with your surgery! Keep us posted!

Lisa
Bahamas1968
on 4/21/11 10:33 am - MI
You too Lisa.....And thanks for the encouragement. I hate not feeling good, but I REALLY hate being this big, so I'll suck it up....lol
Most Active
Recent Topics