But you have a pretty face.........

meloppie
on 4/21/11 3:28 am - Calgary , Canada
 I've heard all those lines for so long......even my grandmother used to get in on the "fun."  "Oh it's too bad you're so fat you have such a pretty face."  

Just one day I'd love to go into a clothing store and not here the line from a person who is clearly working on comission, "wow, that is soooo slimming on you."  When I have perfectly good eyes in my head and can see that I look like a short round tree stump.  

I hope when I lose enough to get into normal size clothing store and get to wear all the pretty stuff they don't make in size 3X. 

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:23 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
You will get there, girlfriend!!!!!
Kristy R.
on 4/21/11 3:34 am - Santa Clara, CA
 Oh yea, I have posted many times on the "but you carry it well" thing.  That is why I'm in this BOAT - because even when I look at myself I think, "at least I don't look huge" - even among overweight people there is a discrimination.  Someone is always fatter than you.  Like, since when is 250 better than 350?  It's NOT.  Even yesterday, I had a conversation with someone who had a gastric bypass, and she couldn't BELIEVE I had surgery.  I had to tell her, well - I was almost 100 pounds overweight.  She goes "Since I've known you??" I said, yes - about 6 weeks ago - LOL.  She just couldn't wrap her mind around it.  Now that I see the weight coming off, I have gained some perspective on just how big I really was.  And the difference I already feel daily - just amazing.  
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:22 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Couldn't agree more, Kristy!
SassyItalian
on 4/21/11 3:47 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
HA!! Gotta love that one!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

johnbertak
on 4/21/11 3:50 am - MD
Here's a slightly different take on "looks" and perception:
A few years ago when I was teaching high school English, I got into a discussion with my students on how we "perceive people" differently based on visual cues. (I think we were discussing Lenny in "Of Mice and Men.")  Anyway, as the discussion went on, I referred to my large self as "obese."  At first, you could have heard a pin drop....  Mr. B?  "Obese?"  
Then a determined voice from one of my darlin' sweetie girls comes out with:  "Mr. B!   Why you're not "obese," you're....you're.........your'e "fluffy!"  (Still makes me tear-up, thinking about it.)
After a burst of laughter to break the tension, I then continued the discussion and hopefully one more classroom full of kids learned that "obese" really wasn't a dirty word, and that people should not be judged only by their outward appearances. 
Pop-Pop

(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 3:52 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Nice one, Pop-Pop!  Thanks for that perspective!!!
newbutterfly84
on 4/21/11 3:54 am - VA
with
I have heard a ton of those. My "favorite" is  when my mom and sister compare me to people. I remember one time my mom called me after she got home one day and said "Rosey I seen a girl today just as big as you are" or I get "you are almost as big as that person you are letting yourself go". I just put up with it. They dont listen when I tell them that its wrong comparing people to other when they are heavy also. It annoys me, so I have to say I am done accepting it and I'm going to start sticking up for myself as well!
 No one tells a Catterpillar that it has to change into a butterfly, it just does it because it is willing to embrace the changes that come with being a butterfly            
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:20 pm
VSG on 03/14/11 with
Kick ass, girlfriend!!!!
Ulysses
on 4/21/11 4:32 am

I heard one that guy's rarely ever hear...
It was last Thanksgiving and we are all seated at the table.
Now, my family is not known for their tact...As a matter of fact they are like "the Redneck Klumps" -
So were eating and the game is on...blah  blah

My little brother suddendly shouts out..."Hey! Jason's got the biggest Tits at the Table!!!"
Allright...I am sporting a rather nice pair of MOOBS these days, but did not need to hear that. The worst part is that EVERYONE laughed - mom, step dad, brothers, sisters, aunts, nephew...They all got a good chuckle...And I'll admit - it was a) almost correct and b) pretty funny.

I didn't go to Christmas dinner...But I did finally decide to get WLS
I'm going to pond my "Moobs" into rock hard "Pecs" and it all starts next Tuesday (my sleeve date).

BTW: I do have a pretty face!

J

VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

Most Active
Recent Topics