Can I eat this vs. should I eat this.

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 4:54 am
I see a few posts here and there that ask the same question, can I eat this food at a particular time after my surgery.  I would like to answer many of them, but I get concerned that I am stepping on other doctors plans.  So I guess the "right" answer is to consult with your surgeon and/or dietitian.  Having said this, I want to point out that the first six months or so after surgery are exceptional in that we lose more weight, easier during this time then ever again in our lives.  When you will speak to many at goal veterans, they will tell you that the secret to their success was to maximize those first golden six months.  In that spirit of helping you get to goal, I would like to suggest that if what you are eating is high in fat, calories or carbs, then even if you can eat this food now, you probably shouldn't do it.  I am talking about full fat dairy products, nuts, fatty meats, all carbs even the "healthy" carbs, such as most fruit and almost all fast food.  I know that there are many people that will disagree with this, and that is OK.  I am only sharing what worked for me and what my doctor and dietitian recommend.  If you have a different program, and it works, great.  All I can share is my own experience.   The program called for 600-800 cals. until goal, 65g. of protein, under 40 carbs per day until goal.  The goal of the program is to lose 50% of EW by the three month mark, 80% by the sixths month and the rest by the one year mark.  The program calls for not increasing calories during stalls but increasing protein and lowering carbs and fats.  This worked well for me.  I know other programs have worked for others.  Good luck to all of us.
MN_Mama
on 4/19/11 4:59 am
Good info.  Thanks for sharing Elina. 

anninva
on 4/19/11 5:15 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
thanks Elina.  as you can see from my post, i'm still trying to figure this out.  i think 3 mos is dangeraous because you are ABLE to eat just about everything, but shouln't.  working on that part!  thanks for sharing what's worked for you.  i just need to figure out if there's some way to do this without getting hungry -- which is when i make my worst decisions!

you're an inspiraton!!!!!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

(deactivated member)
on 4/19/11 5:54 am
Yes, yes, yes, there is a way to do this without getting hungry.  I am so glad you brought that up.  Please go to my profile and look for green chicken soup and chili recipe.  Also go under Sublimate's profile and look for her recipes.  The idea is the same, make high protein, low carb, low fat, low calorie foods that can be eaten whenever you are hungry and always have them in the house.  If you feel hunger, reach for them.  I would never have made it without those recipes.  Make your own if you don't see what you like, just follow the basic principle of high protein low carb and low cal.  The soup I lived on from the 3-7th month.  I lost like crazy, I hope you will too.  Good luck and happy weight loss to you.  :)
George B.
on 4/19/11 5:19 am - Miami, FL
Elina,

As a goal veteran I agree with everything you've stated.

My program has the same requirements you listed. I followed the recommendation and maximized my weight loss by limiting carbs and calories. I agree that because you can eat something does not mean you should eat it. There were days when I was bored with my meals but since food is not a primary concern any longer it didn't matter. I'm not hurting myself by denying myself food. I've eaten everything I've ever wanted to eat and my goals have changed now. 

I'm at my goal weight, I can eat what I like and what I like best is keeping the weight off.

To me living with the sleeve means changing the way I  interact with food. Just because I can eat something does not mean I need to eat it.

Thank you Elina for the sound advice.

George

doublewinner
on 4/19/11 5:32 am - NJ
So helpful. Thank you.

BuckeyeGirl
on 4/19/11 5:33 am - TN

Boo! I read this while eating cheese!

Thanks for the post. It's always helpful to hear how the wildly successful became wildly successful!

Lindsey

frisco
on 4/19/11 6:09 am

So..... Standard disclaimer first.......follow your Surgeons plan.

I refrain from answering many posts in regards to eating/foods because many plans are different and people choose to take there own route. 

Just a couple of notes and observations I'd like to share with the newer folks.........

- Regardless of what you read here on OH..... It's not an eating contest to see how much you can eat!!! I read about soooo many people trying to eat as much as they can???? That's how we got fat !!!
Eat fixed/measured amounts of food that is under your sleeves capacity.

- Preserve your sleeves size/restriction by not over eating. Over eating leads to stomach stretching. You will need this restriction for long term success.
Many say that the sleeve does not stretch........fine..... not gonna argue with you.....go with that theory!
Just know that it is tissue.....not steel.

- Elina mentions the "Honeymoon Period" the first 6 months being the easiest to lose weight.......This is where some folks get very over confident. I read all the time....I eat this or that and I'm still losing weight so hah!
Well....that's fine and some people can carry that same approach all the way through and be successful...... most of us can't.
The second six months... although not as good as the first is still pretty good for weight loss. Just don't regret not taking advantage of your "Honeymoon Period".

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

DrHollywood
on 4/19/11 12:13 pm - Harbor City, CA
Thank you so much Frisco...  
I needed to hear this so much.

✿ L♦O♦V♦E ✿ & ✿ P♦E♦A♦C♦E ✿ღ ✿ & F♦R♦I♦E♦N♦D♦S ✿ ღ
                         "Keeping The Faith!"   "Slim by Summer!"
                                    HW: 250 - SW: 241  - CW: 154.7GW: 140  

1 month: 22 pounds (2162 months: 12.2 pounds (203.8)  3 months: 10.6  (193.2)
 4 months: 9.7  lbs  (183.5)  5 Months:   6  pounds  (177.5 ) 
6 Months: 12 lbs ( 165.5)
 7 Months 7.1 lbs (158.4) 8 Months +1.6 pounds(159.8) 9 Months 2.7 pounds (157.1)
10 Months 8.1 lbs (149) 11 months +2 pounds ( 151) 1 YEAR!!!  2.6 pounds (148.4)

Hit "One-derland April 9th, 2011   (199.7)

"Half-Way Goal" April 25th, 2011 (194.8)

"Happyland 80`s" May 14, 2011  (189.6)

"Groovyland 70`s"  June 20th 2011  (179.9)

" HippyDippyland 60's"  July 16th  (169.8)

" CQQL-land 50`s"  August 25th ( 159.8)

"Normal BMI"   24.8  October 21st, 2011 (154.5) I am 5`6

"AWESOME-land 40's" Dec 1st 2011  (149)

"Century Club 100 Pounds"  Dec 1st 2011  (149)

' ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!"

Two Year Surgiversary!!!"

Lalamonkey
on 4/19/11 6:10 am - GA
Hi Eliana,

While you were on this restrictive plan did you workout?  If so can you share what you did please?

Thanks,

Lala
Most Active
Recent Topics