OT: Being Selfish?

acbbrown
on 4/17/11 1:48 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I think you should but "do not touch/eat" on your food. Or put it in a bag that is not see-through and label it "science experiment" and he'll be sure not to go near it If he asks, tell him it's one of your kids.

Worse case scenario, the least confrontational way is to get a cheap mini fridge to keep in another room for just your stuff.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 1:49 pm
How about getting a small square container like shoe box size and labeling it "Do Not Eat! This is Diet Food only!  That way no one has to say anything.
thisbe777
on 4/17/11 2:07 pm
if you don't tell him, he will never know and will continue to do it, thinking that he is "helping" you....

speak up!!!!  

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

Ulysses
on 4/17/11 3:02 pm

I live alone and don't get my sleeve for another 8 days, so I don't have that problem. But I will have to address the same thing with visitors soon. I always have the guy's over for games and my relatives do pop by and "raid away" in my fridge...Well, all they are going to find is MY FOOD from now on. So I think I will just set a BYOF (bring your own food) rule at my house.

Obviously if I'm hosting I will supply the goods, but I have no intention of letting anyone eat MY FOOD when they raid. I'm doing the pre-op now and if my dad came over and slurped down my low cal/carb high protein egg drop soup that I made from scratch then I would be pissed!

If you don't feel like addressing the issue then try this. Next time you know he is coming over, hide most of YOUR FOOD, but leave out some diet food that is laced with 100% pure Habenero Sauce. Like a nice bowl of sugar free cheescake pudding with a little special "sumpin sumpin" in it. Pavlovs theory of conditioned response..
Or, buy a little dorm fridge off Craigslist for your stash and lock it.

Good luck
J
VSG Surgery on April 26th, 2011
"Get busy living…or get busy dying. That's goddamn right." ~ Red, The Shawshank Redemption   

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 4:20 pm - Castle Rock, CO
LOL!! Thx much for all ur Suggs.. I really like the idea of getting my own mini fridge/freezer that many hv recommended, that's an awesome idea! I wouldnt feel so guilty abt my goodies takin up too much space in our shared space either! Thx again all
Ms Shell
on 4/18/11 1:18 am - Hawthorne, CA
First off does your dad KNOW he's eating YOUR food?  I mean obviously you live with Hubby so he knows what's yours but an outsider wouldn't.  So in that aspect clearly marking your items is EXCELLENT. 

But I want to dove deeper.  Why are you having a problem sticking UP for yourself?  I mean in the grand scheme of the world this isn't a "big" problem BUT if you can't stick up for yourself with small things when can you?  It's time that you learned that you have a RIGHT to have things for yourself and have those things treated with RESPECT.  Because bottom line it's about respect for you and essentially your things.

I mean just talk to your dad and say "Dad since I've been on this journey to better health and loving myself inside and out, I have certain items in the refrigerator that make it EASY for me to achieve my goals.  Especially since I can only have small amounts etc.  If you come and eat those items it puts me in a danger zone when I go to eat something and there gone because in that moment I may grab something that isn't the best for me."  Or something to that effect.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 4/18/11 2:05 pm - Castle Rock, CO
You hit it right on the nail Ms Shell!! It's always been my struggle to face upto family (esp dad), friends, ppl in general. I guess it's really a self-confidence thing too, I'm working on that though.. I'm starting to like myself more with all the changes I've started experiencing with the sleeve, weightloss, exercise, etc. I'm also a quieter shy person (always hv been), part of the reason why I don't even post pics n such.. Hehe. As many others on the board I'm sure, my self-esteem has always been so controlled by my weight - it has pretty much ruled my life, imprisoned me so all those residual feelings play greatly into the way I act, react to things & ppl too. I'm also a major avoider of any potential confrontations so most of the time, I've always just given in u know? Again, all deep rooted stuff that I'm still trying to slowly liberate myself from, thanks so much for words of wisdom & encouragement.. Hugsss!
Ms Shell
on 4/18/11 3:01 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Trust me when I say I UNDERSTAND which is why I wanted to comment on it.  In my opinion, in order to be successful you are going to have to dig deep and NOT be afraid to FEEL the emotions you have surpressed and buried with food etc.

You can do it darlin =)

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Hislady
on 4/18/11 9:09 am - Vancouver, WA
Boundaries, boundaries! I can't imagine any of my friends OR family walking in my house and helping themselves to my food! That's down right rude and disrespectful to anyone. I would stop it in a heartbeat! My house, my food, my permission required to eat it! You deserve more respect than that, stand up and be counted, demand respect in your own home, it's up to you to lay down the rules.
Most Active
Recent Topics